1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Occ Health Meeting

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by blueroom78, Jun 18, 2011.

1. My HT has refered me to Occ Health. I have no idea what to expect and finding the thought of it scary.
    Does anyone know what I should expect? Am I allowed to take someone with me?

2. My HT has refered me to Occ Health. I have no idea what to expect and finding the thought of it scary.
    Does anyone know what I should expect? Am I allowed to take someone with me?

3. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Feel free to take someone with you. You don't need to worry though - it's just about any recent illnesses or other absences you've had, and whether you need any support in the future.
    I was worried before my first meeting, but now I look forwards to them, as it's an opportunity for someone to really listen to how I am, and see the bigger picture of all the things I have going on.

4. The thing that is worrying me is the fact that they are going to have a say on whether I should be in work. Doctor hasn't signed me off as he didn't think it would help.

5. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I think they'd respect the opinion of your doctor.
    I imagine they'd agree with you, if you want to be in work, but may be able to come up with some adjustments that make it easier for you to stay in work.
    Depending on your situation, only you can know what these adjustments may be - it's probably worth thinking of things before you go there.

6. you can also use it to your advantage. if there are any changes you want to see implemented in school you can talk to the occy health doctor and tell them what changes school could make to make your working life easier and then if the OH doctor writes the changes in the report to school then school will make changes. [​IMG]

7. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

If you do a search you'll find quite a few threads on here about going to OH. I was absolutely terrified before I went but came out thinking it was nowhere near as scary as I thought it would be. They were really supportive and recommended I stay at work not go off sick.

8. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

You can take your union rep with you. If there are problems at work it would be a good idea to have someone with you.

9. It's more personal issues rather than anything to do with work. Will be really anxious when I go, have got a list of questions to ask before I start giving anything away. I think the idea of talking to someone you don't know and having to trust them is part of it.
    Thanks for all your thoughts and advice

10. Torey

If your head has referred you to OH, then it does have something to do with work. It all depends on what your relationship is like with the Head. Mine was really angry that they made suggestions and refused to put any in place.

11. lilykitty

lilykitty New commenter

I would echo the other posters here. I found OH really helpful because they have worked with lots of people in similar situations and also have an understanding of your work place. The doctor I saw was expecting me to ask about confidentiality, and was very clear about what he would and would not be sharing. You also get to see any reports before they are sent to the school / workplace.
    If you want to avoid being signed off, I doubt they would go against your GP's advice, but maybe be ready for questions about how you are going to make sure your current situation doesn't impact on your work? Don't forget OH can offer support for keeping you in work too, including counselling and suggested reductions in workload, etc. so they can be very helpful in caring for your health even if you are able to work.
    Hope it all goes well.

12. Torey, what I meant was the root of my problem is not work related but it is starting to impact on work which is the reason for referral. I can go for weeks where everything is ok but since coming back after the hols have not been having a great time. I get through the day at work ok its the work I have to then do at home that is effected.

And now all my little meetings with head is making working at home even harder as all the things she has said keep going round in my head. She told me about the referral before going home on Fri so all weekend its been in my head!

13. Heads do seem to have a tendency to give out bad/worrying news on a Friday. Their argument would be that it gives you the weekend to reflect upon it, where is reality, most people in such situations spend the weekend stressing. Good luck with OH and use them to help you through this difficult patch. Hopefully their early involvement will stop things getting worse.

14. Torey

OH can offer you short term counselling and that sounds like a good idea. You can always ring teacher support line and off load to them. Hopefully your Head told you in such a way because they dont see OH as something to be concerned about. I still think you should take your union with you if you think your head may have ulterior motives. My OH was rubbish and I found out formal complaints had been made against them to HSE when I looked into it.

15. I find it so hard to explain things and think they just sound silly and that people don't get it. I think that some at work don't understand how you can feel so low when nothing major has happened and other people are dealing with similar issues much better.
    I just hope that OH understand.