1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Obtaining QTS but not living in the UK

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by IntheDam, Sep 10, 2020.

  1. IntheDam

    IntheDam New commenter

    I'm thinking about changing career and becoming a secondary school teacher. However, I am and Irish citizen and live in the Netherlands. I do not have the possibility of moving to the UK to study, work and train to be a teacher and obtain the QTS.

    From my research into Dutch International Schools, many of them are partially funded by the Dutch Government. Without a QTS, it is not possible to get a permanent teaching job at these international schools. (Some schools may not require the QTS but I do not want to lessen my options of schools to work at).

    My question is: Is it possible to get the QTS via distance learning and while working in a non-UK based school? Has anyone successfully done this?

  2. blueskydreaming

    blueskydreaming Lead commenter

    QTS isn't a qualification - it's a status, conferred if you are deemed to have met the standards for qualified teachers - so there's no online course that allows you to achieve it.

    If you were to get a job in a UK curriculum school overseas, and work there for 2 years, you could apply for QTS through the 'assessment only' route (Google it). This would require you to compile a portfolio of evidence to show that you do meet the teacher standards.

    QTS is only necessary if you want to teach in a maintained school in the UK. If you don't want to teach in the UK, an iPGCE may be an option for you - this would be studied online, and would give you a teaching qualification, but not QTS. Lots of countries and schools accept the iPGCE, although not the UK, US, Canada, Oz etc. I'm not sure about the Netherlands. You need to already be working in an overseas school in order to sign up for an iPGCE.

    The problem with these options is that they require you to already be working in a school. The likelihood of that depends on your background, qualifications, and the subject you want to teach.
  3. IntheDam

    IntheDam New commenter

    Hi Blueskydreaming,

    Thanks for the insights.

Share This Page