1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Obtaining DBS when self-employed

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Godiva17, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Godiva17

Godiva17 New commenter

As I am going to be self-employed as a tutor, I am looking into obtaining an Enhanced DBS certificate through one of the umbrella body companies suggested on the gov.uk website. However, there are so many listed, quoting various charges, that I don't know where to start. Is anyone who has experience of using this service able to make a recommendation, please? Or offer any alternative advice?

2. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

If you are a musician and music teacher and join the ISM, they provide a DBS service. Obviously, if you are not teaching music then it is of no use, sorry.

Maybe, there are other unions who offer the DBS service.

3. captain scarlet

captain scarlet Established commenter

Option is, choose one which offers the enhanced for the lowest cost, somewhere in the region of £50. Then as soon as possible, sign up for the update service, £13 per year. Keep all recipts, tax deductable.

4. BG54

BG54 New commenter

If you register with one of the tuition agencies they usually offer to deal with sorting out the DBS certificate. I obtained mine through Personal Tutors, it cost £44.

5. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

As BG says, you will have to go through an agency. Only in barking mad Britain can an individual not obtain anything akin to a police certificate.

But, you don't need a DBS check to be a private tutor, and the kind of parent that asks to see one is very likely to be a clever-clogs who will turn out to be a right royal pain.

6. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I have never once been asked for one in six years except for when I worked for someone who set up a group and they paid for it

7. TES_English

TES_English New commenter

You just have to contact the local bodies in your area that offer to do it. They shouldn't charge a surplus at all so don't pay anything crazy for an organization to do it. I used aged UK to process mine.

8. gainly

gainly Occasional commenter

I've been tutoring 17 years and never been asked for DBS. Quite a few years back I did some booster classes after school for a local secondary school who arranged a check, I think it was still CRB then. It came through on the day of my last lesson which seemed to make it rather pointless.