1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Obtaining DBS when self-employed

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Godiva17, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Godiva17

Godiva17 New commenter

As I am going to be self-employed as a tutor, I am looking into obtaining an Enhanced DBS certificate through one of the umbrella body companies suggested on the gov.uk website. However, there are so many listed, quoting various charges, that I don't know where to start. Is anyone who has experience of using this service able to make a recommendation, please? Or offer any alternative advice?

2. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

If you are a musician and music teacher and join the ISM, they provide a DBS service. Obviously, if you are not teaching music then it is of no use, sorry.

Maybe, there are other unions who offer the DBS service.

3. captain scarlet

captain scarlet Established commenter

Option is, choose one which offers the enhanced for the lowest cost, somewhere in the region of £50. Then as soon as possible, sign up for the update service, £13 per year. Keep all recipts, tax deductable.

4. BG54

BG54 New commenter

If you register with one of the tuition agencies they usually offer to deal with sorting out the DBS certificate. I obtained mine through Personal Tutors, it cost £44.

5. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

As BG says, you will have to go through an agency. Only in barking mad Britain can an individual not obtain anything akin to a police certificate.

But, you don't need a DBS check to be a private tutor, and the kind of parent that asks to see one is very likely to be a clever-clogs who will turn out to be a right royal pain.

6. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I have never once been asked for one in six years except for when I worked for someone who set up a group and they paid for it

7. TES_English

TES_English New commenter

You just have to contact the local bodies in your area that offer to do it. They shouldn't charge a surplus at all so don't pay anything crazy for an organization to do it. I used aged UK to process mine.

8. gainly

gainly Occasional commenter

I've been tutoring 17 years and never been asked for DBS. Quite a few years back I did some booster classes after school for a local secondary school who arranged a check, I think it was still CRB then. It came through on the day of my last lesson which seemed to make it rather pointless.

9. KitKat30

KitKat30 New commenter

Hi Godiva
    I have been asked for my DBS check by a parent just once in eight years, and this was about three years ago. I think other tutors are correct in saying that you do not need one, although there are rumblings in the media about this from time to time. I have one because I tutor in my own home, although I am happy for parents to stay and observe if they want. I insist on producing it to each parent because it took me so long to obtain! I guess if I didn't have one and a parent asked, then I would probably point out that technically I don't need one, and invite them to stay. Most parents are happy to leave their child on their own with me once they are settled, without asking to see the DBS.

10. Kateray1

Kateray1 New commenter

I looked into this and dbs is a legal requirement if you are planning on tutoring under 18s. As a sole trader you can’t obviously do your own so you do need to find an organisation willing to do it for you.
    [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions] I tutor children and adults.

11. phatsals

phatsals Occasional commenter

No it isn't.

12. gainly

It seems your legal knowledge matches your maths skills!

13. Kateray1

Kateray1 New commenter

What a horrible thing to say. I came on here for friendship advice and support from likeminded people not these horrible totally demeaning and hurtful comments.

I knew some teachers could be bullies but I thought they researched that for their students.

My comments have been totally taken out of context and no one on here knows the whole story of my life. I do not need to justify my qualifications and experience to anyone here.

14. gainly

I'm sorry I did not mean to upset you. However your posts did not really suggest you were looking for friendship and advice. On another thread you claimed to be able and confident in maths even though you have just failed GCSE. Then you state DBS to be a legal requirement for tutors which is clearly not true and might mislead new tutors. If instead you'd posted asking for advice on how to improve your maths skills you would have received quite a different and more helpful response.

langteacher likes this.
  15. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

No it isn't.