1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Obtaining copies of data held by employer

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by international_muso, Jun 22, 2015.

1. international_muso

international_muso New commenter

I would like to get a copy of all data that is in my personnel file from a previous employer. Can anyone advise me on how to do this? Also... how do I ensure they haven't removed anything that could be considered as libel?

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

3. international_muso

Thanks. So i'm guessing I just use the request template and address it to the school? What about the fee, should that be paid to them?

4. international_muso

Sorry, again... would it just be my personnel file that I would ask for? i.e. would that contain everything from references provided for me to complaints made, performance management and observations etc.

5. Rott Weiler

That's it. The ICO template letter asks the school to let you know if they charge a fee for the information but have a look at this post which recommends sending it anyway so as not to give them the opportunity to delay. There's also a different template letter that you might find more useful. GLsghost is the expert on this and may have more advice to offer.

https://community.tes.co.uk/tes_workplace_dilemmas/f/96/t/549831.aspx

6. international_muso

One other thing... would it be the freedom of information act (2000) or the Data protection act (1998)?

7. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Away from home at the moment and not back until tomorrow evening. I have templates and can assist if you need it.

8. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

DPA not FOI. See the link Rottweiler posted. X

9. Rott Weiler

It's DPA not FOI. DPA is the law you use when the information you want is about you personally. (You'd use FOI for other types of information that a public body holds.)

10. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Under DPA you have a right to see and correct any data held about you. It is to protect you from incorrect data.