1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Observing others?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by charlotteu, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Hi
    I seem to be doing reasonably well however am aware that this year I am getting an extra 10% timetable. So far, I've mostly been using this for things like getting my head round specifications (4 new ones I've never seen before!), researching ideas for teaching from resource sites and books etc. Very useful, especially when I have more time, but doesn't feel like induction work!! (sorry, this is a bit vague!)
    I don't have an induction programme as such to specifically spend this time on - it is suggested around the tes newteachers site and elsewhere that observing others ould be useful; I do have some great teachers in my department but I don't quite know how/when to observe them or how to get the most out of it. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make the most of this extra time?

2. I looked at my timetable to see when I was free, then looked at what other lessons were running then. Some were for year groups that I don't teach, so I made those a low priority. Then I chose lessons that were being taught by people with a lot more experience than me, and asked if I could observe their lessons. I also looked at people outside of my department who teach at that time and are teaching pupils that I would like to see handled by someone else (ie real troublemakers). I'd look at any areas of weakness that appear on your observations/first term report, and see if anything springs to mind. Then ask around - people are usually very happy to discuss whether they teach in a particular style or not. Aim to observe one lesson a week, as a rough guide.