1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

observing french teaching and learning

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by miss1986, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Hi all, I am the MFL co-ordinator in our primary school. As part of my profession development and the school SIP, my focus this year is observing the quality of teaching and learning in French in our school. This fills me with dread as I have never observed others in this way before. I have been given the criteria that the school uses for performance management and will have the primary mfl skills and objectives to work from. However I don?t want to pass judgement on others as I know myself how awful observations are. Any advice would be really grateful. What should I be looking out for, how shall I handle giving feedback?
    Many thanks.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

If I was a co-ordinator, as someone who 'knows how awful observations are', as well as checking progression is happening throughout the school, I'd want to use it as an opportunity to ask staff where they need support, if there's anything you can do to increase their confidence etc.
    Go in looking for the positives and then work out together how to improve any problems /difficulties.

3. funambule

funambule New commenter

4. runaway

runaway New commenter

First and foremost are the children on task and enjoying lessons?
    If they are brilliant. crack open the champagne (once the kids have gone) and put your feet up.

The rest is just ensuring that you can see a difference in terms of progress and challenge between yrs3-6. Clarify with all the staff what you understand by 'progress' and when you want to see evidence of such. Don't forget it might be in terms of grammar: moving from sound & word level to word + adjective to set phrase + word + adjective to extending and eventually combining short sentences made up of such structures to make a very short paragraph. (That's it -don't go any further).

But progress is also in terms of confidence, pronunciation, memory and recall -so clarify what you would want teachers to get their classes to be showing at each stage.

Essentially make sure you get to see a mix of whole, group, pair and individual work in every lesson (not chalk and talk) and that there is a good balance of speaking, listening, reading and writing.(last two are most likely to be forgotten and are not a case of writing loads, more of thinking about spellings and corresponding sounds, how to make a sentence maybe by using ready cut cards or human sentences that sort of thing)

If teachers are worried about their own pronounciation remind them to make use of the CDs/DVDs/resources wherever possible.

Give them the spec first so they know what you are looking for and ask them to tell you if there is something they'd like you to focus on to offer support/advice and also if there is something they are particularly proud of that they'd like to share with you. If you like it too se if you can persuade them to share how/what they did with colleagues.

Oh yeah -biscuits.never ever do feedback without biscuits.