1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Observing and Recording -what do you do?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by notime, Aug 30, 2012.

1. I am just entering my second year in R/Y1 and I am just reflecting on what I did last year. We are changing our recording system to the EYFS element of Essex Tracker which means I can keep all photographs in their digital formats and link to a range of children, hopefully it will prevent hours of endless cutting out and sticking! I am happy with what is happening fr short observations, but I am not sure that the long observations I did last year really told me anything I didn't already know for the majority of children. Last year we did two long observations per term. I am just wondering if this is necessary or whether I could just do long observations for those children who I am concerned about in a specific area?

Thanks

2. Hi! I loved having a mixed class, it's so much less aggro than people think! The main point of observations is to plan new activities and move the children forward. By the time you have put all your gorgeous observations together you will have so much more info than those lengthy, time consuming long ones gave. And if you are engaged in those, what are you missing elsewhere? We don't have enough hours in the day! Go for it! :)

3. cinderella1

cinderella1 New commenter

Hi im nursery not reception, but we only do short obs.. unless an sen child. So I would think your doing all you should be doing with your short obs. As you have said your long obs dont actually inform you of anything more than your short obs do. :)