1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

observed maths lesson on Monday

Discussion in 'Primary' started by thedancingqueen, May 21, 2011.

1. Hi. I'm really starting to panic about my observed maths lesson on Monday. I'm on my final placement with a year 5 class and I take the middle set for maths, but there is a wide range of abilities within the group. They do spaced learning each week and me and the teacher believe that they've made a lot of progress in my lessons. My maths lesson was observed by my coordinator last year and I got poor feedback because the class lacked confidence, were unresponsive and I blame myself obviously too. I'm sure I could've taught them in a much more meaningful way. I believe that I've made a lot of progress since last year but I really need to teach a fantastic lesson. I'm trying to come up with the objectives for Monday's lesson and wondered if anyone can help me please? I want it to be ratio based. We are going to be making fat balls for the birds by measuring out the ingredients and I am going to differentiate and incorporate ratio work by saying, e.g. -------- g of lard will make 10 fat balls. How much will you need to use to make just one? I would differentiate so that the more able were originally given larger numbers to work with. I have concerns though. Do I get them to work as a group and how many should they make, or do they just make one each? I have bought enough for them to make a few each but I really need to sort out my objectives, exactly what I'm going to do, what the children are going to learn from it all and how it's going to take up a whole lesson. If they were only making one fat ball, this won't really take long. We normally do worksheets but I was told to make it practical and it links in with the nature in the local environment work we've been doing I suppose. For the input I can make a ratio flipchart using similar examples, e.g. ratio questions about ingredients for a cake. I have no idea what to do for a plenary though. I tried to get an inflatable ball from TTS that I could slot questions into but they were sold out. I really want to impress my coordinator so badly. I used to ask for help on here too often and I'm not going to fall into that trap again. I like doing things myself but for this lesson, I'm asking because my class teacher isn't well so I can't ask her and people on here are more experienced. If it wasn't an observed lesson, I'd just be getting on with it myself but I've been told it needs to 'sparkle'. If you have seen something online that you'd recommend me using, please suggest it!

2. My main worry is that the whole process of making the fat balls is disgusting and handling the lard is dusgusting. I have gloves for them to wear but I'm sure some children will still not be keen to make them. I could have made biscuits or something instead but I thought fat balls would be a good cross curricular link. I just need to make sure the lesson is focused on ratios. I'm really worried so if anyone can suggest my learning objective and how to keep the lesson really focused and impressive, I'd really appreciate it.

3. If you're working from the Framework, your objective would be:
    * Use sequences to scale numbers up or down; solve problems involving proportions of quantities (e.g. decrease quantities in a recipe designed to feed six people)
    I've done this with my Y5s with making smoothies but not in an observed lesson. While we've been blending them, the other groups have had to work out the cost of their smoothie. So give them the cost of 100g bananas, they have to work out how much weight and money they used.
    If yours work in groups on the fat balls, you need to make sure all are involved in the calculations to show progress of all children.
    For you plenary, perhaps how much weight/cost the whole class has used with numbe rof ball made. Then discuss strategies. ie If you made 28 balls. They should know cost of 10 and 1 ball. So did they do 1 ball X 28, or 10 balls + 10 balls + 8 balls etc.
    Hope that helps!

4. inq

inq

Instead of having an inflatable ball to slot questions in write 6 questions, numbered 1-6, on the board, get children to throw a dice to choose their question to answer.