1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Observed lesson Yr 1 _ Ideas?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by annarm, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Hello -

I'm a scottish teacher who qualified in July 2010 and moved down to London for work. I have been lucky enough to have had regular supply work through agencies, and through that for the last month have been working regularly at one school and have built up a very positive relationship with them. Recently a long term Y1 cover position has come up and hence the head has asked to observe me teach Year 1 for half an hour, then observe PPA time with Year 1 (so half an hour of me showing off and the rest following the class teachers plans.) I have not taught Year 1 at all, let alone in the school so do not know the class or what work may be set for the PPA portion of the observation. Is there anything i can do to prepare, and does anyone have any ideas as to what to do for a mere 1/2 hour with Y1 unknown pupils? Many thanks, A.

2. Hello -

I'm a scottish teacher who qualified in July 2010 and moved down to London for work. I have been lucky enough to have had regular supply work through agencies, and through that for the last month have been working regularly at one school and have built up a very positive relationship with them. Recently a long term Y1 cover position has come up and hence the head has asked to observe me teach Year 1 for half an hour, then observe PPA time with Year 1 (so half an hour of me showing off and the rest following the class teachers plans.) I have not taught Year 1 at all, let alone in the school so do not know the class or what work may be set for the PPA portion of the observation. Is there anything i can do to prepare, and does anyone have any ideas as to what to do for a mere 1/2 hour with Y1 unknown pupils? Many thanks, A.

3. Why not do phonics session. Year 1 focus on phonics - usually letters and sounds (DFES). You could read a story using big book. Put book upside down, then back to front and get chn to tell you you are wrong. Find out from the teacher what phonemes the class are focusing on and make sure story book has these in. Get chn to write sound on white boards the word with phonemes in and put sound buttons underneath. If you are comfortable with that you could always use a puppet to help you. Chn love the puppet and usually tell it the phoneme. Hope this helps. Just an idea and good luck