1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Observed Lesson for GTP Primary Application

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by glendappp, Dec 21, 2010.

1. As part of my GTP application process my potential employing school has asked me to prepare and teach a lesson with year 4 pupils. I have very little school experience and have been told I can decide which the lesson should comprise. I do not know what the curriculum areas the pupils have already covered and will be taking the lesson straight after the Christmas break. I am planning to prepare a lesson on developing thinking skills, making it a very interactive lesson with discussion on what, why how type questions.
    I believe this observed lesson is more about my ability to engage and react with the children rather than my curriculum knowledge. Do you agree?
    Any comments would be much appreciated.

2. I am pretty shocked that you are being asked to prepare and teach a lesson for you interview! I have heard that some providers ask you to prepare a starter, and i had to do a presentation on how i would teach a particular topic, but i've never heard that a prospective student has taught a whole lesson before - how nervewracking for you!
    I would have thought that they are not expecting 'the finished article' at all, just that you have planned thoroughly and engage with the children well. Good luck!

3. Hi,

I have posted previously about my GTP process with another Uni and before they even agree to interview you you spend 2 days in 2 schools and have to teach a lesson, one KS1 and one KS2. I posted previously the ideas I had for each lesson however it was only really about 30 mins long so not a complete lesson I should think. I do think it is more about how you interact with the children than it is about you knowledge of the curriculum as I did my KS1 lesson more PSHE focussed and it seemed to go down well. I havent heard back yet as to whether I have an interview following those two days but I know the process was delayed because alot of people never managed to get to their two schools due to the inclement weather and therefore these days have had to be rearranged.
    Have a look through my previous post if you like, I put all the details of what I planned to do on there.
    Good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine!
    xxxx