1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Observations

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by dafish85, Nov 9, 2019.

1. dafish85

dafish85 New commenter

Hell everybody
    I am new to the forum and I am just looking for some advice. I am a ta working in the eyfs and I am just wondering how other ta’s got their observations written up within school time. I have been trying to find the balance for years. The children seem to always want me involved in their play/activities (which is one of the best parts of the job) so I end going from one observation to another either scribbled on a piece of paper to write up later or i make a metal note. We use different methods of observations but our main one is an app on the iPad and I feel there just isn’t time to start typing them up as other opportunities might be missed. I don’t know if I make myself more work with displaying them nicely for their learning journeys. If anyone has tips that would be very much appreciated. Thanks

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Hi dafish85, I haven't been in EYFS for many years now - but I do know that our EYFS TAs do have some time out of class every week to keep their observations up to date. It's only an hour, but it is a token nod towards acknowledging that TAs shouldn't be expected to do this regularly in their own time. Hope others with more helpful suggestions will be along soon!

3. dafish85

dafish85 New commenter

Hi Sunshineneeded
    Thank you for the reply. That’s nice to hear that they did that at your school. We get half an hour a week to file observations and update children’s learning journeys etc so sadly not enough time there to catch up on writing observations. Hopefully others will reply I am just curious to how others manage their time. Thank you

4. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

No they don't. Maybe some schools give this but it isn't a blanket rule.