1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Observations

Discussion in 'Primary' started by MillyStar, Jan 20, 2012.

1. MillyStar

MillyStar New commenter

I will try and keep this short!
    Last year our head announced no one would get any notice for obs, she would just be coming in. I was observed 15 times in 2 months (one colleagues 4 times in a week!) and kept getting very negative feedback. For the first time in my career I did not agree with the feedback which was very hard for me, however I worked on all the points they gave me (3rd year teacher). As you can imagine it was a stressful year. The school got the LA involved and lots of us were given support which really helped me. Then we had Ofsted and I personally did very well. I was pleased and everything seemed to settle down.

Last week I had an unannounced observation again and was given satisfactory, a grade I did not agree with. I feel very unhappy, the whole situation seems to be starting again and I feel if the school has a problem with my work I would rather they just said. In our Ofsted report it said along the lines of teachers with problems were given excellent support by SMT. In a way I feel that I was given negative feedback on purpose so they could 'support' me (as well as others) so it would look good for Ofsted.
    I suppose I am posting because I am worried abou the situation, and also do you think I am losing perspective here and being paranoid? Does it sound like there is a problem with my work? Up until last year I was always given good for my lessons, and from Ofsted I was given a good and an outstanding and I just can't understand the sudden change in grade my school has given me, and the difference between their observations and Ofsted.
    Advice gratefully recieved!

2. MillyStar

MillyStar New commenter

I will try and keep this short!
    Last year our head announced no one would get any notice for obs, she would just be coming in. I was observed 15 times in 2 months (one colleagues 4 times in a week!) and kept getting very negative feedback. For the first time in my career I did not agree with the feedback which was very hard for me, however I worked on all the points they gave me (3rd year teacher). As you can imagine it was a stressful year. The school got the LA involved and lots of us were given support which really helped me. Then we had Ofsted and I personally did very well. I was pleased and everything seemed to settle down.

Last week I had an unannounced observation again and was given satisfactory, a grade I did not agree with. I feel very unhappy, the whole situation seems to be starting again and I feel if the school has a problem with my work I would rather they just said. In our Ofsted report it said along the lines of teachers with problems were given excellent support by SMT. In a way I feel that I was given negative feedback on purpose so they could 'support' me (as well as others) so it would look good for Ofsted.
    I suppose I am posting because I am worried abou the situation, and also do you think I am losing perspective here and being paranoid? Does it sound like there is a problem with my work? Up until last year I was always given good for my lessons, and from Ofsted I was given a good and an outstanding and I just can't understand the sudden change in grade my school has given me, and the difference between their observations and Ofsted.
    Advice gratefully recieved!

3. That is awful, I feel for you as I would hate to be put in that situation, the stress caused by observation overdrive is surely knocking confidence more than building it. I never feel like I'm doung my best when being observed, I just dobt feel natural or relaxed, so an unannounced observation I imagine would be worse. Don't worry about it, you were graded well by Ofsted and prior to the exhausting succession of observations, and from what you have said it sounds like your not the only one so take some relief from that and find a job where you are guided more positively x

4. The Red Heron

The Red Heron New commenter

Bit of advice you cant win. Hts will close ranks and the LA will always back them up. I had an ob in my last school on a maths lesson, I planned it with a leading maths teacher from an outstanding school, used the resources she gave me, followed the input,the kids were great and the lesson was stunning. Rich maths tasks etc-all in a context, all the kids could explain their learning and the classroom had a real buzz to it. I was chuffed.
    She gave me unsatisfactory in an hour and halfs feedback bringing up the most pathetic and picky points going and hence I left the school as the Govs, LA just closed ranks-it was the most disgusting and vindictive thing I have witnessed in 15 years in schools and I would still fight that lesson judgement to this very day. She now has the staff and NQTs she wants as her puppets and I for one am very very glad to be out of it.

5. bonnie1

bonnie1 Senior commenter

I thought you could only be observed 1 hour in every term.

6. Red Heron your experience sounds like mine. I felt unfairly treated by a previous HT who also did drop-ins and would just hover at the back of my room. I'd feel distracted by whether she was waiting to speak to me or if there was a problem. She'd often ask questions about other matters which could have waited until break time, saying she needed to know there and then, interupting the flow of my lessons. She was also unduly negative and would sit tutting and huffing during lesson obs, and ask me to cover break duties and assemblies at very short notice when she didn't want to do them. I wish I had involved my union but I ended up just leaving as I'd had enough and realised she was basically a bully, with the support and ear of governors, SLT etc who would never question her. No regrets about leaving now and I am so much happier elsewhere.

7. The Red Heron

Yes, it happens...I knew she was wrong and had a lot of personal evidence to show but the Chair of Govs was an incompetent old guy 70 odd who didnt really know what day of the week it was, let alone be the 'critical friend' which the Govs should be and quelle surprise he took her side. Let alone the fact I had taught 3 other classes,all with superb results, academic and beyond. Alongside the achievment of removing me and replacing me with an NQT (I know, staggering, but she could mentor him then, and control him) she also managed to sack a teacher on a temporary contract and tell the parents it had been by 'mutual consent' and replace her with her colleague from down the road. The whole system stank from top to bottom and I quit rather than be pushed by a nasty piece of work hell bent on controlling everything and everybody at the school.

8. The Red Heron

and i click onto the school website now from time to time,see the topic maps which are all identical, probably written by her for each class and thank the lord that I am no longer there