1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Observations

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by tom clancy, Nov 29, 2011.

1. There are no hard and fast rules about the number of observations that can be carried out. As far as PMgt goes there is a "usual" limit of 3 hours (not 3 observations). These observations could/ should be multipurpose as it were. But schools can observe as many times as they feel the need, otherwise.
    If you are a maintained school or an academy operating under STPCD then you need to look at your Directed Time of 1265 directed hours per 195 days to make sure all the extras you are having to do does not take you over.
    If you have concerns then you could always contact your unions at county or regional level for support.
    Oh, for those in NASUWT, they have been asked to work to rule from 1st December!

2. Thank you. I need to do the maths I think as it just seems bonkers at present. I think I was only observed once the whole of last year! What's not helping is that I am also pregnant so extra-tired and hormonal so things that I would usually take in my stride seem much more stressful at present.

3. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

nah, don't blame your sense of exhaustion and stress on your pregnancy, why attach a negative feeling to it? - it's your bullying management that is causing this (check your feelings against those of some of your less pregnant colleagues).
    I have a simple spreadsheet I use to calculate our school's directed time which I would be happy to share with you but your cursory summary of the requirements imposed on you tell me you are way over.

4. Becktonboy you are right - checked with other staff and they all feel similar which makes me feel a little better. My line manager told me the reason they are doing more is because the Head wants 52% at 'good' or above by Christmas - new Ofsted framework. I know a teacher who got an outstanding who is being observed again so not sure what's going on there. We work in an inner city comp with loads of SEN and EAL needs. Trying to ensure ALL students make 'good' progress is nigh on impossible at times!