1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Observations

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by jasminemay, Jul 16, 2011.

1. As a GTP trainee due to start Sept. As part of the training process we need to observe lessons. I thought it would be helpful to compile a list of questions that I could look for as part of the process eg
    What behaviour strategies are being used ?
    What teaching strategies are being used ?

Also have others found it is better to focus on one aspect of teaching ?
    I would be grateful for any other advise from current of past trainees.

2. As a GTP trainee due to start Sept. As part of the training process we need to observe lessons. I thought it would be helpful to compile a list of questions that I could look for as part of the process eg
    What behaviour strategies are being used ?
    What teaching strategies are being used ?

Also have others found it is better to focus on one aspect of teaching ?
    I would be grateful for any other advise from current of past trainees.

3. Hi there, I've just finished my NQT year.
    Don't worry about looking for particular things like behaviour management etc just look at what goes on in a classroom. If anything look at how the lesson is structured - looking at the way the class begins and ends and the activities done. What struck me more than anything else was how much teaching had advanced since I left school. You are not going to be expected to know how to do anything at first so do what comes natural to you and your mentor will offer support and advice. Just being in lessons is a good way to get a feel for teaching. If you are desperate to impress, see if you can go in now before the year is over to get a sense of the school.

4. Thank you for your reply.

5. Piranha

Piranha Lead commenter

Don't assume that every lesson is going to be perfect. You should also look for the things to avoid. Sitting at the back, you can see how interested/involved the students are, and how they react to what is going on at the front.
    Watching behaviour management early on in the school year is important. It is then that good teachers get on top of behaviour in new classes. I made the mistake of assuming that a class would be well behaved becasue I saw them behaving well for somebody else. It was only later that I realised that the behaviour was a result of what went before. Once students and teacher have got used to each other and expectations are clear, there may not be much management needed.
    I didn't go into lessons with anything in particular in mind, and I think that was right. This is the best chance you are going to get to observe a range of teachers. Identifying their individual strengths will help you work develop your own teaching style.
    Good luck.

6. Hi this is for wolvers,
    Sorry that this isnt really relevent to your post above but I noticed your post said you did your GTP with Derby. I am hoping to do the GTP with Derby in 2012 but I'm struggling to find an employing school. I had one however due to funding it fell through. Which school were you in? Do you also know any other employing schools in Derby/Nottingham?

7. HI HLW85
    I did GTP for Derby two years ago. Most of the people who were on the course with me already seemed to have a working with relationship with their school prior to GTP in some shape or form. Quite a few had been TAs in the school and some had been already working as unqualified teachers and two ended up working at the school their children attended but they already seemed to be involved with that school. Others had done voluntary work in the school they were in. In my case I applied for a TA post whilst I was completing my degree with OU. When I applied for the post I told the school I wanted to complete GTP and it would take me two years to complete my degree so this all formed part of my performance management as a TA. As the school were happy with me all I had to do was write to the head/governors to ask them to support me in the year I applied. The head really needs to know you quite well as they have to apply too as it is a joint application.
    Have you tried Loughborough Encompass - I was offered a place with them but turned it down as they didn't want me to work in my school. They found me a school but it would have meant a two hour commute every day so when I was offered a PGCE place at Derby I opted for that instead as the costs would have been less for me. Finally I was offered the Derby GTP place which was my preferred choice so it all worked out as planned :). Nottingham Trent also find you a school and there is also the George Spencer partnership, so quite a few options to explore in the East Midlands if you cannot find a partner school.
    You need to apply for everything and not throw you eggs in one basket. When I applied there were around 250 applicants, by all accounts there were over 600 applicants last year, so it is getting more and more competitive.
    Good luck :)