1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Observations

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by misspixie9, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Hi

Just after some friendly advice please.... :)

This week, my university lecturer is coming into school to do observations on both myself and another trainee. The original arrangement was that he would watch my lesson first, and the my colleagues. However, due to the other students timetable changes, they now need to switch those around, so my lesson is now second... Ordinarily, I really wouldn't mind either way - but because we were only notified about the observations on Friday evening, and I've never actually taught the group that I'm with during that lesson - I teach the first group, but not the second. I won't get a chance to see the group before the observations happen on Tuesday, and I'll only really have 1 period tomorrow to be able to prepare to teach a group that I've only ever observed and ocassionally provided a little bit of support with on practical work, and to not only teach them for the first time, but to teach them in front of my Head of Department *and* Lecturer.

I'm just not quite sure how to handle it - would it look bad if I were to ask the lecturer to come in at another time to observe? I think I know enough about the project they are working on to be able to take that one lesson, but it's going to be a bit awkward coming into it on what's actually the groups final lesson of this rotation (I'm teaching Design and Technology, and we're just coming to the end of this carousel group), and the trying to rearrange timetables so that my Head of Department can be there too, as he'll be teaching a different group at the same time. Would it be fair to say that, notifying us at 5pm on a Friday, for an observation on Tuesday morning, isn't enough notice?

Any help or advice would be brilliant

Thanks, Lucy

2. Hi

Just after some friendly advice please.... :)

This week, my university lecturer is coming into school to do observations on both myself and another trainee. The original arrangement was that he would watch my lesson first, and the my colleagues. However, due to the other students timetable changes, they now need to switch those around, so my lesson is now second... Ordinarily, I really wouldn't mind either way - but because we were only notified about the observations on Friday evening, and I've never actually taught the group that I'm with during that lesson - I teach the first group, but not the second. I won't get a chance to see the group before the observations happen on Tuesday, and I'll only really have 1 period tomorrow to be able to prepare to teach a group that I've only ever observed and ocassionally provided a little bit of support with on practical work, and to not only teach them for the first time, but to teach them in front of my Head of Department *and* Lecturer.

I'm just not quite sure how to handle it - would it look bad if I were to ask the lecturer to come in at another time to observe? I think I know enough about the project they are working on to be able to take that one lesson, but it's going to be a bit awkward coming into it on what's actually the groups final lesson of this rotation (I'm teaching Design and Technology, and we're just coming to the end of this carousel group), and the trying to rearrange timetables so that my Head of Department can be there too, as he'll be teaching a different group at the same time. Would it be fair to say that, notifying us at 5pm on a Friday, for an observation on Tuesday morning, isn't enough notice?

Any help or advice would be brilliant

Thanks, Lucy

3. Hi Lucy,

My lecturer from uni said that they only come in to moderate and double check that they agree with the school about your strengths and areas for improvement. It's a bit rubbish that this has happened to you but I wouldn't panic - just explain the details to your lecturer. They'll probably think more of you for continuing with the observation rather than trying to rearrange it.

I hope that makes sense :) Good luck with your observation!

Sam

4. As the previous poster said, one of the purposes of joint observations is to check that your Head of Department is working to the same standards as your university tutor. I've done several with the university tutor I work with, we've discussed them to make sure that we're working to the same standards and have picked out similar things and then fed back to the trainee.
    I'll be honest and say that you've got plenty of time to prepare for that observation and trainees should be used to being observed in any of their lessons. It is slighly harsh that you haven't taught this group before, however if you've observed and helped, you'll be aware of the group dynamics and standards and your tutor should be aware it is the first time that you've taught this group. When you go for interviews for jobs, you won't have taught that class before and you're judged on that one lesson and it may not be something you've taught before. I know trainees place huge importance on their tutor's visit and their lesson observation, but you can't pass/fail on that one observation and the tutor I work with places more importance on looking at observations as a whole and discussing progress made with me and the trainee rather than that one lesson. Organising visits like this can be a nightmare especially when as a mentor you need to ask for cover and unfortunately sometimes the lessons the tutor ends up observing can be less than ideal - for example in your situation.
    I'm sure you'll be fantastic what ever happens and good luck