1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Observations

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Betamale, Feb 11, 2011.

1. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Hmm - I would class one as a small slip but one as fundamental. I will get the Ofsted grids out to help with feedback and planning another observation.

2. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

they're useful but they shouldn't be a straightjacket.
    I support heads in schools in special measures and sometimes we do joint obs. They often sit with the criteria in front of them highlighting things which they think they've seen. Bad move.
    in my opinion you can't possibly know what's going on if you have your head down looking at a grid all the time.
    Everyone should be aware of the criteria, obviously, but good teaching is good teaching.
    The key question is "Did they progress in their learning?"

3. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Yes of course they are. Any more cliches you want to through around?

4. forgive the teenage speak but
    O M G ! !
    that must have been a large-gin-and-tonic-when-over occasion

5. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

It was. Perhaps the scariest moment came when we realised that in response to the " cancel all appointments " call to the secretary, the visitor for assembly was cancelled.
    Cue me standing in front of 400+ eager looking pupils with 2 inspectors at the back thinking " what the f*** am I going to say when we've finished singing this hymn?"
    That was fun!

6. what did you say?

7. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I made up some **** based on a bible story, got a few kids out to the front to help me act it out and then
    the vicar arrived ( he'd heard we'd got visitors, jungle drums were beating) and he rounded it off with a prayer
    bingo!

8. Thats a great story curlygirly.
    Please don't let me distract you - do carry on, but I just needed to check Karvol really meant this.
    Do you really mean that Karvol?
    All this kids with behaviour problems out there are stupid?

9. That's a great story curlygirly. Well done. No sarcasm or anything.
    I don't mean to stop you, do carry on, but I just had to be sure Karvol really means this.
    Because Karvol seems to be insisting that all kids with behavioural problems are stupid.
    Triple check Karvol. Is that what you mean?

10. aren't local vicars wonderful! [​IMG]

11. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

As a non believer I can honestly say I've never been more pleased to see a vicar in my life.
    Anyway apparently we were quite a spiritual school. That mustve been all the praying I was doing while singing " we are climbing Jesus' ladder".

12. Jesus'?
    Plese Karvol - reconsider....

13. there are no aetheists in foxholes [​IMG]

14. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

2 upsides to a no notice , there only one sleepless night ( between the 2 days) and they get a true picture of the school, you can't be accused of putting on a show.

We were interviewed afterwards to see what our thoughts were on the viability of no notice insoections. You might remember ofsted were proposing these at one time. We pointed out that in a small primary the chances of having the head and or deputy available to observe alongside and interview with no notice would be almost nil. Not to mention the stress of gathering data and evidence at such short notice, whilst also teaching.

15. Thanks for pointing that out curlygirly.
    There have been huge problems in the past in the obervation of small primary schools. Here in Cumbria we have many and they are often hugely respected and desirable schools yet they have scored very lowly in inspections, mainly becuase the tick box lists just don't fit and weren't written with such schools in mind.
    We have some superconfident local primary heads who stood up and argued their corner, saying that the quality of what they were offering simply wasn't being recognised by the inspection system. Eventually they were invited into take an active part in the development of the new primary curriculum in order to ensure that it would be written in a way which would be relevant to all primary schools. The assumption was that they could then actively reference their strengths which would help in the inspection process.
    Then, of course, Gove happened. So all that campaigning and work and courage was for nothing.

16. mind you - the best laid plans...
    the infant school to which we are the junior school iyswim was ofsteded a couple of weeks ago - ordinary notice inspection and all that - everything super ready
    and they had a power cut
    i do not know how their staff are still sane

17. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

We had one the day before our most recent one, local builders severed a cable. Set all the fire alarms off etc. Then one of the Govs got into a fist fight outside the gate with another parent. I was just glad it didn't happen the following day. It's a funny old world.

18. er- does that happen often at yours?

19. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

The parents fight quite a lot. I've managed to stop it in the playground now. Once they're outside the school gate all I can do is inform
    the police, and I do but by the time they get to me it's usually all over bar the shouting.
    I do split some up outside the school gates, but there are some I won't ( drug dealers, users who I know carry, HIV+ etc)
    The governor scrapping outside school was a first though.

20. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Weebecka, go back to my original post and then reread it. Now, slowly go through it and point out the bit which says exactly that kids with behavioural problems are stupid? I said you have no experience of teaching in an environment with highly intelligent children who are deliberately testing your limits.
    The post you made in response to this was that kids with behavioural problems are not stupid, in fact quite the opposite. To which my response was "Of course they are. Any more cliches you want to through (sic) around?"
    Now your understanding of this, in a rather surprising reading, is that I am saying poorly behaved kids are stupid. While this could be an interpretation, it could only come about if the reader is incapable of following threads more than a couple of posts deep. I am assuming that you are intelligent enough to read a number of posts and follow a thread through them. If you are not capable of this, then do let me know and I will start making the links obvious. The cliche is, quite clearly, the one of linking poor behaviour with high intelligence.
    My original post regarding this clearly mentioned teaching kids who want to test out the teacher and
    "What you don't have is experience of dealing with highly intelligent
    classes who have it in for you and want to see what you are made of"
    This quite clearly hints at behavioural issues. With highly intelligent students.
    So tell me again, which bit of my post says that kids with behavioural issues are stupid?