1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Observations

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by mickey23, Jan 27, 2011.

1. I was observed just after we came back in January and got satisfactory with good features. However I have been told that I need to get observed again because I 'was only satisfactory'.
    I'm not botherd about being observed again, but I feel thrown off a little. If I got satisfactory why do I need to be observed again?
    Can the school do this? I would understand if I got inadequate or my results weren't good but they are [​IMG]

2. I was observed just after we came back in January and got satisfactory with good features. However I have been told that I need to get observed again because I 'was only satisfactory'.
    I'm not botherd about being observed again, but I feel thrown off a little. If I got satisfactory why do I need to be observed again?
    Can the school do this? I would understand if I got inadequate or my results weren't good but they are [​IMG]

3. ianj6

ianj6 New commenter

Could well be that they reckon you're a "good" teacher and they need to get that level from an observation to put on the SEF, to increase their percentages.

4. ianj6

ianj6 New commenter

The Head can observe you as often as s/he wants.

5. that's not my understanding - I am sure there are others who will know the full legality; however I understood it you can be observed for a maximum of three hours per academic year and they ALL have to be linked to your performance management targets. The head can't come in to check if you are better than satisfactory just because they want to. It has to be part of what was agreed in your PM meeting at the beginning of the academic year.
    I am sure someone else will correct me if I am wrong!

6. Twinkles

Twinkles New commenter

In my school, any teacher who is judged 'satisfactory' will be seen again in the expectation (or hope) that the second observation will be 'good'. This is because one of our Ofsted targets was to ensure that a certain percentage of teaching was 'good' and this is the way our head is trying to ensure this happens.
    Myself and my colleagues have no problem with this as we are all trying to make sure our school gets 'good' in our next Ofsted, having only got 'satisfactory' in the most recent one.

7. If you were assessed at satisfactory with good features. then maybe you were seen as being close to a good- surely assessing you as good is good for you personally as well as the school? I wonder why this throws you?Observation is the only way to see how your lessons run!
    I would hope you have high expectations for yourself as well as any of your pupils- I wouldnt aim only for a C grade when you have potential for a B or above.

8. funkygirl

funkygirl New commenter

There is no limit to lesson observations. Anything outside the performance management cycle there is no limit as to how many observations can take place and a head teacher can delegate this responsibility to members of the senior leadership team or middle managers. Observations that are linked to performance management can only occur on three occasions during one cycle (please not 3 lessons as oppose to 3 hours). Plus, as a professional all teachers should be aspiring to be at least a 'good in their observations. If the majority of staff got a satisfactory then your school will simply be judged as only 'satisfactory' due to ofsted placing so much focus on teaching and learning.

9. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Actually, the limit is three hours, not three lessons. The regulations (The Education (School Teacher Performance Management) (England) Regulations 2006) state:
    And indeed, even that limit can be extended if "evidence emerges which gives rise to concern about the reviewee’s teaching performance"

10. dont think so - think it was agreed with the unions about 3 observations a year which shoiuld be linked with performance management but most schools seem to do more- counting them as drop ins or spot checks!

11. Don't think that's strictly true...check your union's advice but I was under the impression that are definite guidelines whereby a teacher who isn't deemed to be failing is observed no more than three hours per academic year (unless the school is in special measures etc).

12. Good for you! Someone with some common sense at last! How sad that some teachers feel their worth is only measured in terms of satisfactory etc.. How would other professions feel if they were constantly criticised and examined- no wonder so many want to get out of teaching! It's about time teachers got back their self-esteem, from someone who has a LIFE!

13. Some of this thread makes for unhappy reading. Feels like some in
    the profession are so used to jumping through hoops that they've lost
    the ability to think critically and objectively about what goes on in
    schools. And sadder, judging by some of the harsh and dismissive
    comments, appear to lack any kind of empathy with the original poster.

14. when does satisfactory mean unsatisactory? when it is said by OFSTED. if a doctor told you your blood pressure was satifactory, would you expect him to check it again. when the dentist tells you your teeth are satisfactory, would you expect them to be checked again?
    so why then if OFSTED say you are satisfactory should you be scrutinised again, recent observations unearthed observers with no teaching qualifications, a less than satisfactory outcome in my estimation.

15. Because you are on the borderline of what your pupils have a right to expect. You seem satisfied to be merely adequate, which is a bad sign. If you observe a pupil and judge s/he is "satisfactory", doesn't that mean you need to work out how to get her/him to improve, and observe again to check? Your query suggests that you don't think so, that "satisfactory" means "good enough", rather than "needs to improve/could do better". Learning that you are "satisfactory" breeds complacency.

The entitlement to a salary increment, beyond cost of living, ought to be triennial, but everyone would be entitled to an annual confidential performance review from the Head, their appointee or an Inspector. If this was "good", the increment would be payable in the 2nd year, and if "excellent", it would be paid yearly. If initially judged merely "satsfactory", the teacher would be entitled to an observation by an Inspector unaware of the Head's opinion. This would be unannounced but within a notified period of one or two weeks. A "good" or "excellent" judgement by the Inspector would have the appropriate incremental effect.

What do you think the effects of that would be?

16. This seems to be a trend that is sweeping the country. The NUT state that this is unacceptable practice. If you are in a union ask your rep for their advice. They should be challenging this practice in your school. Since when has satisfactory been considered to be 'unsatisfactory'?

17. crampsfan

crampsfan New commenter

The effects of that would be a huge increase in bullying and victimisation. In the current climate there would soon be a cap on how many teachers could be deemed good and if your face don't fit you'd be awarded less money. My last two observations have been outstanding and good but I still wouldn't want PRP to happen, having been bullied by a head of dept. in the past