1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Observations with top sets get better grades

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Flere-Imsaho, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

So that's why most of my observations were with the lower sets.:mad:

cissy3 likes this.
  3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Something about Sherlock and no excrement?

Dragonlady30, sabrinakat and cissy3 like this.
  4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I'd like to see similar research into such judgments when applied by Ofsted to grammar and other "high performing" schools.

cissy3 and minnie me like this.
  5. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Well, yes.

This is the sort of thing I've been pointing people towards for a long time. It's not actually new, but all teachers should read it and then look further into related matters.

aspensquiver_2, cissy3 and wanet like this.
  6. Flere-Imsaho

I know, Scint, but I thought it brought a lot of things together in a useful way.

It's not just experienced teachers who get top sets. Quite often managers will allocate themselves the best classes (as they are seen as the ones one which the department and school will be judged) and possibly get an inflated idea of their own ability and methodology.

ValentinoRossi, sabrinakat and cissy3 like this.
  7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Same thing when a 'strong' school and a 'weak' school are paired... the staff from the strong school quickly learn to not visit the weak school... it damages their aura of invincibility.

Spiritwalkerness and cissy3 like this.
  8. Flere-Imsaho

Is that why the initial concept of academies didn't work, do you think? Hard to support a "worse" school when it turns out they are doing just as well as you could in the circumstances.

Spiritwalkerness, lanokia and cissy3 like this.
  9. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Since moving to a selective independent school all my observations have been outstanding. It is so much easier to engage a class who care about academic achievement,either that or I magically became a better teacher.

10. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I had an outstanding obs with a Year 7 class in the hall, because there was no classroom available and the class included an ASD boy who went to a special ASD school shortly after.

I had a less positive obs with a Year 11 'Option Support' class- euphemism for 'they need to do fewer GCSEs and we don't know what to do with them. Ten boys and two girls. None remotely interested in supporting any of their options, or doing anything at all really, apart from joshing one another.

cissy3 likes this.
  11. Scintillant

It's worth a good look round Jack Marwood's site http://icingonthecakeblog.weebly.com/ as there's a lot on Ofsted Inspection, their use of data, the data dashboard, RAISEOnline, Halo Effects etc

eg
    http://icingonthecakeblog.weebly.com/blog/ofsted-scandalously-bad-judgement
    http://icingonthecakeblog.weebly.com/blog/ofsted-rubbish-in-rubbish-out

12. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I was thinking about bears in the woods myself...:)

[​IMG]

13. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

test
    Apologies. Will get back to this topic later.

I can't reply on another thread :confused:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  14. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Over here Campbell College got a kicking. An old, established Grammar for the better off. £18000 per annum for borders.

15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Since observations are now based on 'progress' it would appear obvious that top sets will do better...

In my experience that lower the set, the lower the eagerness to work, learn etc.

I have a set 3 year 10 that I'd hate to be observed with, like blood from a stone... but I have a set 1 year 10 I'd welcome an observation with.

cissy3 likes this.
  16. wanet

wanet Star commenter

of course lower sets will make less progress, because they are slower. However, a high flying set could come unstuck with results because statistically some of them will underperform. If they are expected to get top grades then none can overperform to compensate.

17. Scintillant

I teach the pupils that mainstream teachers can't. I'm outstanding before I even get the boardmarkers out.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  18. mandylifeboats

mandylifeboats Occasional commenter

I got Ofsteded on supply. Just so happened that I was covering for the HoD, who had allocated herself most of the top sets. I got an outstanding for taking the top set Y8 loveliest class in the world and 2id got what was then "satisfactory" for her labours with the disaffected and troubled bottom set Y10s.
    Hardly fair, which she put herself out to remind me forever after.

19. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

It's a good thing Joyce Grenfell never underwent an observation. Ruddy useless!

Children... we're going to do our nice 'Moving to Music' this morning, so let's make a lovely fairy ring, shall we? And then we'll all be flowers growing in the grass.
    Let's make a big circle - spread out - wider - wider - just finger-tips touching - that's it.
    Sue, let go of Neville - Because flowers don't hold hands, they just touch finger-tips. SUE. Let go of Neville.
    And Sue, we don't want GRUMBLERS in our fairy ring, do we? We only want smilers.
    Yes David, you're a smiler - so is Lavinia - and Peggy and Geoffrey. Yes, you're all smilers.
    QUIET, PLEASE.
    Don't get so excited.
    And Sue is going to be a smiler too, aren't you Sue? That's better.
    George... don't do that!
    Now then, let's all put on our Thinking Caps, shall we, and think what flower we are going to choose to be.
    Lavinia? - What flower are you?
    A bluebell. Good.
    Peggy?
    A red rose. That's nice.
    Neville?
    A wild rose. Well done, Neville!
    Sidney? - Sidney, pay attention, dear, and don't pummel Rosemary - what flower are you going to choose to be?
    A horse isn't a flower, Sidney.
    No children, it isn't funny, it's very silly. If Sidney can't think of a better flower than that we'll have to go on to someone else until he can.
    Now then Sue, what are you?
    Another rose! Oh I have got a lovely bunch of roses, haven't I? Peggy is a red one and Neville is a wildone, so I expect you are a beautiful white one, aren't you?
    Oh, you're another red one! I see... Now then Sidney?
    A carrot isn't a fiower, Sidney. Think dear, and don't blow like that. How about a tulip?
    A holly-leaf isn't a flower, Sidney. All right, you'd better be a holly-leaf.
    Now, children, listen very carefully. Elvis, stop bouncing, please.
    No, bouncing isn't dancing, Elvis. Don't argue, dear - just stop bouncing. You watch the others - you'll see.

cissy3, lanokia and wanet like this.