1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Observations - question

Discussion in 'Personal' started by ShadowMan, Jan 4, 2011.

1. ShadowMan

ShadowMan New commenter

I know this has been discussed many times before but, as usual with this site, I cannot find it anywhere.
    I don't understand the NUTs recommendations re the maximum number of observations.
    They say:
    · Therefore classroom observation for the purposes of performance management and evaluating the standards of teaching and learning should not exceed a total of three hours within each performance management cycle.
    and then say:

· Classroom observation for the purposes of performance management should be limited to one observation of a maximum of 60 minutes in length per performance management cycle, subject to the reviewee choosing to request a further observation within the three-hour maximum.
    So, does this mean that a head should (according to the NUT) observe you only once per year unless you request otherwise?

2. ShadowMan

ShadowMan New commenter

I know this has been discussed many times before but, as usual with this site, I cannot find it anywhere.
    I don't understand the NUTs recommendations re the maximum number of observations.
    They say:
    · Therefore classroom observation for the purposes of performance management and evaluating the standards of teaching and learning should not exceed a total of three hours within each performance management cycle.
    and then say:

· Classroom observation for the purposes of performance management should be limited to one observation of a maximum of 60 minutes in length per performance management cycle, subject to the reviewee choosing to request a further observation within the three-hour maximum.
    So, does this mean that a head should (according to the NUT) observe you only once per year unless you request otherwise?

3. There is a difference...
    So they have two more hours linked to performance, but not performance management?

4. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

For performance management purposes, yes.
    BUT they can also observe you for literacy monitoring, numeracy monitoring, school improvement purposes etc
    And to be honest only being observed once a year in one subject isn't exactly enough to keep track that the teaching is of high quality is it? (IMO)

5. Given these are only NUT recommendations, it doesn't really make much difference, you can be observed as often as the Head sees fit !

6. http://www.sec-ed.co.uk/cgi-bin/go.pl/article/article.html?uid=48622;type_uid=1;section=News