1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Observations-just where is the quality control and consistency?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by The Red Heron, Jun 1, 2011.

1. The Red Heron

The Red Heron New commenter

Just been reading a thread from teacher who didnt get a job in FS Stage as she dared to teach a lesson using puppets, I mean how silly to engage 4/5 year olds in that way.......
    Anyway, from being in teaching 10 years and having obs range from unsatisfactory to outstanding it never ceases to amaze the me subjectivity and corrupt nature of these wretched things, the agenda of the day, the pre determined grade, the latest trendy initiative to tick..
    Last year I deliberately chose a poetry lesson technique from Pie Corbett, had the whole class writing 7 lines with stunning features after not being able to write a single line on the Monday and got 'satisfactory' with the comments I 'scaffolded' the technique too much. This is the same technique which a man who is paid thousands a day encourages teachers to do and which then set these children up with a technique which they used for the rest of the year

Id like some great learned person in SMT to really explain how they go about making these judgements up

2. How about the variations in Ofsted judgements of schools too? I know this a clear framework that they work too but they seem to examine certain areas of a school and ignore other aspects.
    For example, a school with 100% 2 levels in progress in Numeracy and Literacy was told that was 'satisfactory' progress yet a school with 75% in Literacy and 50% in Numeracy was told that was also 'satisfactory'. Hmmm....

3. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

heron, sounds like you might like to peruse my blog on the subject: http://becktonboy.blogspot.com/2011/02/lo-lo-whats-going-on-here-then.html

4. Often tells you a lot more about the person doing the observation than the person being observed. Handle with care.

5. Like it, beckton. Keep up the good work.