1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

observations in playgroup

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by MerlinDog, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Hi can any of you clever people tell me are long -10min planned -observations an OFSTED requirement ? we currently do these but feel they don't present a true picture of the child and their likes/progress/play style etc or evidence to plan their next steps.. We also do post it note observations-short un planned- every day of 'wow' moments and the first time children achieve things, which provide more evidence for planning next steps. Our LEA advisor keeps insisting on the 10 min observations - so do we have to do them or not ? what do you do in your settings ? Any and all advice gratefully received =) thanks x

2. I believe they are in the EYFS guidance but not the standards and therefore it is up to each setting if they do 'long' obs.We stopped doing them the year before last.

3. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

There is no requirement in the EYFS to do any particular type of observation. Personally I like longer observations done less often as I think you capture much more about a child's involvement and interest as well as showing characteristics of effective learning. But that's just me, each to their own so if you don't find what you do helpful, then change it. Ofsted are not in the slightest bit interested in how long your obs are nor how many you do. What they want to know is how well do you really know your children, how you use that information to make assessments and hoe you use that to plan ahead for where the child needs to ho next.