1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

observations in last week of term

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by har1her1, Jun 20, 2015.

1. har1her1

har1her1 New commenter

Hello,

I work in a college and next week is the last week of term. An advert has gone out for a course leader in our department to replace the previous course leader who was recently promoted. This week the three course leaders in the department were told that they were going to be observed. This is highly unusual because observations rarely take place in the last week of term and only course leaders will be seen. I understand SMT can observe whenever they wish and that teachers/tutors should be prepared anyway. However, I strongly suspect that the observations may be used as part of a process through which SMT decide which CL should be 'demoted' so the new CL post can be financed. Furthermore, this has been a hell of a year for me and I am not in a good place in my private life (emergency fostering pending for my child and other things). I could really do without this additional stress.

I know my performance is going to be bad, but I will do my best. However, I feel totally let down by my place of work.

2. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

However, I strongly suspect that the observations may be used as part of a process through which SMT decide which CL should be 'demoted' so the new CL post can be financed

Hang on a minute. It might be the opposite, with the 'best' of the three of you being promoted to (head?) course leader.

3. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Sounds like you may need some time off due to the stress (personal & professional) you are suffering. Might be the day you are due to be observed?

4. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Taking one day off due to stress would look very suspicious and would not be advisable.

I think that you would find at least a week is needed to recover from a stressful incidence.