1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Observations during induction period

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by LibertyK, Jan 30, 2011.

1. I know that we are meant to be observed every half term as an NQT....I had loads last term but have heard no mention of one yet this term (we have 3 weeks left till half term) do I need to mention it or just wait till my induction mentor or someone else brings it up.

Please help, i don't want to fail because of it!

2. I know that we are meant to be observed every half term as an NQT....I had loads last term but have heard no mention of one yet this term (we have 3 weeks left till half term) do I need to mention it or just wait till my induction mentor or someone else brings it up.

Please help, i don't want to fail because of it!

3. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

I would mention it - forewarned is forearmed & the more notice you have the more you can prepare. It is awful having observations sprung on you with no time to get your head around it, which could happen if they leave it til the last minute!

4. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket New commenter

Your school might be the same as mine in that they have pretty much decided to leave my observations now. Last term I had my regular NQT one, plus ofsted came to look at my one person (me) department so was observed by them 3 times and the head observed me the day before they came to check the lesson. That made it 5 times in one term. We have an LA advisor in in a fortnight and we will be observed by them making my total 6. My mentor seems to think I should be okay with that and not need another one unless I have a major problem. They seem quite content with just popping in every now and then to check work etc.

5. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

As an NQT your responsibility is to be proactive. The minimum number of formal assessments per term is 2-these are followed by 1 formal review- some schools load these at the beginning of the term leaving the end of term free for other activities.