1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Observations and guidance on writing them

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by nicebutdim23, Jun 21, 2015.

1. nicebutdim23

nicebutdim23 New commenter

Hi all,

I am trying to get my TAs more involved with observation writing and one thing that appears to be obvious is that format and content is something they are unsure about. I know that next year I will be having TAs who are not Early Years trained so I am trying to put together a guide on good observation writing. I haven't found anything online to help me write it . What else do I need to put in the guide?

context, date, learning intention/ objective or whether it's child iniitiated child, what they do, how they solve problems, commentary , dialogue if any.

help please :)

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I find this a difficult area, too, so will keep my eye on this thread for tips!

Date and context are vital. Give examples of the context so that it's obvious what you're looking for. I'd also add in something about what adult input there was, if any - so, did James count the stones because you said, "I wonder how many stones you have?", or did he do it spontaneously?

As a trainee teacher I learned a lot about observations from being asked to do a long observation on a child - write down everything I saw and heard for 15-20 minutes - and then the teacher and I discussed it afterwards. We picked out the things I'd written down that were significant in terms of the child's learning, linked them to the EYFS, and decided how this could inform our next steps for the child. It really helped me to understand the point of observations beyond just "write down what you see/hear" - and because I understood what it was for, it was easier for me to realise which details were important to include. If time allows, perhaps it could be worth doing a similar thing with your new TAs?