1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Observations and grading while on placement.

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Slaire, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Taking risks seems to be a key aspect if wanting to gain a 'very good' while on placement. Does anyone have any examples or suggested reading to identify opportunities to help me develop my risk taking skills?

Thanks! :)

2. Taking risks seems to be a key aspect if wanting to gain a 'very good' while on placement. Does anyone have any examples or suggested reading to identify opportunities to help me develop my risk taking skills?

Thanks! :)

3. I think with some ITT students they find a lesson approach which works and they, rather understandably, stick with it. A successful teacher needs to be creative, able to react to students' needs during the lesson and able to use a wide range of teaching strategies. If you have a target to "take more risks" I'd guess that your mentors mean they want you to try some different approaches and develop a wider repertoire. Without knowing who and what you're teaching it's difficult to comment further.

4. I would agree with brookes about saying student teachers often stick to a similar approach. I have just completed my final placement and I know I did! So, I took a class outside to do estimation and measuring and used the computers for graphing problems (all of which I have never done before). Maybe ask your mentor what they think taking risks means, mine also said it is about exploring an idea a pupil has said, which means you may not follow your lesson plan.

5. wheek

wheek New commenter

I have been focusing whilst on my current placement ways in which I can take risks within my lessons. This goes from completely changing a lesson and going with something that arose, to the approach in teaching. Finding a creative way of teaching something that isn't normally used would be taking a risk as it might not work, and one of my planned lessons for this week is to get the five tables to produce something as a team. It is highly beneficial to me that they do this well as I would like to use their creations as part of my display, however they struggle to get on task straight away and have done very little team creative activities in such large numbers. Normally they work in pairs. Therefore, whether this works or not is a risk and all I can do is minimise the risk by ensuring the children are reminded of my expectations and how to complete the activity.
    Whenever doing something out of the ordinary in lessons, mention on your planning the risks you have considered that might affect the outcome of the lesson and the strategies you are using the minimise the risks. Hope this helps you with your placement- good luck!