1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Observations... 1st person or 3rd person

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by tomb2112, Aug 13, 2018.

1. tomb2112

tomb2112 New commenter

Hi,
    I currently work in a Pre-school. I have always written my observations in the 3rd person. Some staff members currently write in the 1st person, for example... "I did an activity today with ????...."
    I just wanted to get an opinion on which one you guys do your observations in.

Thanks!

2. Chicken_madras

Chicken_madras Occasional commenter

I always use the child's name. I can't say why really just habit!

3. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

It would be better to say what the child learnt rather than what the adult did with the child.
    For example, 'Toby has learnt to ...... while playing / engaged in ........

4. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

I'm not sure it really matters at all - As long as the information is clearly recorded and understandable.

5. ChanChan123

ChanChan123 New commenter

At me current setting we write them to the child as in 'as you explore the mark making area you bla bla bla'. I have worked in with places where it would be 'I noticed that John had created a picture. When asked blablabla' or 'John picks up a set of number cards blabla'.

I'd never written them to the child before working at my current setting. Maybe there's a set rule for how yours should be written?

6. zippygeorgeandben

zippygeorgeandben Occasional commenter

My LA suggested in the 1st person a couple of years back.

7. cinderella1

cinderella1 New commenter

I think within the setting you should all try and use the same method if all adding to the children's learning journeys, but I don't think it matters which one you use. I always write as if I am discussing with the child, e.g you really enjoyed …. blah blah and I end with a question, so when they are sharing with parents at home (tapestry) the parents can ask the question related to the learning taking place.