1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Observation

Discussion in 'Primary' started by helen0301, Feb 10, 2018.

1. helen0301

helen0301 New commenter

hi guys,
    I’ve been working as a TA now for 6 months. I’m doing my level two supporting teaching and learning at college and I’m just about to be observed on Friday. I’m wondering if anyone had any tips or advice for me. I’m being observed in maths.
    Thanks.

2. annie2020

annie2020 New commenter

I was observed for my level 3 last year and remember it well. I delivered my daily maths lesson as usual while my tutor sat in a corner and took notes. Luckily I couldn't see her from my vantage point or I would have gotten quite distracted I think. You should know which specific criteria is to be observed, so maybe think ahead how you can meet it all. It's what I did and my tutor didn't have any questions for me afterwards. Make sure you participate in the lesson as much as possible and find something to do during your teacher's input time (preparing resources, dealing with behavioural issues etc). Observations are nerve racking but try to be yourself as much as possible.

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Ask your classteacher to give you something to do during the input...maybe work with someone who needs an extension, or some support. Maybe deliver small group teaching or similar.
    Ask your classteacher to ensure they give you the opportunity to show off your skills.

And best of luck!

sunshineneeded and LunaBlue123 like this.
  4. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Excellent advice from caterpillartobutterfly. Talk to your class teacher and make sure you know:
    - the learning intention for the lesson
    - what the teacher wants your group to achieve and how you are to support them.
    Also, make sure you know as much as possible about the group you are supporting - do any of them have SEND or individual education plans? Do you know their preferred learning styles - is there anything special you regularly do to support their learning? You may be asked about this in the feedback meeting with your tutor and it will be a good chance to show your knowledge and skills.
    Don't worry about it - the tutor will be on your side and will want to help you. Good luck!