1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

observation

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by jubes1, May 1, 2012.

1. I am a qualified english teacher currently working as a skills for life tutor. My manager is qualifed to GCSE level only. she is going to observe me teaching. IS this allowed. Can she observe me? I am thinking not and to be honest not very happy about it. Can someone please advise asap. What are my options?

2. I am a qualified english teacher currently working as a skills for life tutor. My manager is qualifed to GCSE level only. she is going to observe me teaching. IS this allowed. Can she observe me? I am thinking not and to be honest not very happy about it. Can someone please advise asap. What are my options?

3. In what way is she qualified to teach only GCSE? Even if such a barrier existed in your school, I guess many people would say that teaching is about having skills that are transferable between subjects and levels, which is why (say) a science teacher can observe say an English teacher.
    I guess in your case whether your manager is any good at observing will only be demonstrated by the quality and tone of her observations.

4. no you msi-understood. She only has GCSE's she has no teaching qualifications her highest qualifications are basic skills english and maths. I work for a centre delivering skills for life. Can someone who is not qualified as a teacher observe a teacher?

5. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Are you employed as a "teacher" in a LA school?

6. no, as a skills for life tutor for a private training company

7. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Then I don't see why your manager shouldn't be allowed to observe you. They may not be very good at observations, but that is irrelevant.
    If you are in an LA school (shorthand), then performance management observations HAVE to be undertaken a by qualified teacher.

8. 576

576 Established commenter

1. Yes, of course she can observe you - she is your manager, that is the only qualification she needs to observe one of her staff doing their job.
    2. Why are you unhappy? Because you think being a qualified teacher makes you better than her?! She is your manager - it is her job to ensure you are doing your job hence the observation.
    3. a) Grin and bear it
    b) Resign and find another job (where your manager has more qualifications than you so that you are able to respect the position they are in)

9. Duncan Bannatyne left school at 16 to sell ice-cream. But he has the right to observe, or even dismiss any employee in his multimillion business. This includes economists with PhDs, too. If you work in business (which is what a private training company is) you have to play according to its rules. I don't suppose the manager's lack of A-levels bothered you when they gave you a job?

10. Depends on the purpose of the observation. We are encouraged to observe each other all the time to share good practise or ideas. Do you object to the fact that she will be passing judgement of some sort? Will she be observing with someone else who will be guiding her on how to observe?
    My advice is to ask what her focus will be and take it from there. It's your classroom so stay in control. Good Luck.