1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Observation

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by staceymoody, Jan 23, 2012.

1. I am being observed by the head in a couple of weeks before my HLTA assessment comes in as I really want some feedback on my teaching.

I am teaching a year 8 low ability group and the subject is Literacy

I need to do something very hands on and where I hand over the learning to them (the head is big on this)

i was thinking of doing either homophones or capital letters??

Does anyone have ideas?

I was thinking homophones on table and have to match them up then each table to give sentences to the rest of group showin difference?

Thanks, any help much appreciated

2. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

Hi You do realise that your assessor doesn't actually watch you teach don't you?

The homophones sounds a better option.

I work in Primary but as they are a low ability group I think this would be OK. Could you run it past one of the staff first?

3. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

I wasn't sure if you had been for the training yet. The Head is probably observing so s/he can report it to the Assessor as they do ask the Head a few questions. LOL ours couldn't answer one of them! Good Luck!

4. If you are doing a stand alone lesson you really should see where their gaps are. Just plucking a lesson out of thin air may not be the best lesson to do. Can you say for definite (with proof) that they struggle with these concepts? and I do mean over half the class.
    You would look wonderful if you went through their writing books and looked for something that they really needed.
    I would definitely use the starter part of the lesson to prove that the children couldn't do whatever you decide to work on. Then teach them and in your plenary you can show how much they have learnt. OFSTED look for pupil progress within the lesson and if you don't progress them then it's pointless doing the lesson.
    If you do do capital letters (I would do full stops/exclamation marks/question marks too and call it basic punctuation) a nice activity is to make sentence strips with errors on them. Write them to the ability of the class so that they can actually read them. Leave out full stops on some, leave out capital letters on another. Put full stops instead of exclamation marks/question marks etc. Children to sort then correct by writing in their books (practise their writing skills).