1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Observation/task - no idea what it's going to be!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by thumbshrew, Oct 15, 2011.

1. No advice as such, but I would be pleased to know that the school is making sure there really is a level playing field. Having been applying for jobs on and off over the last few years I have come to dread the interview lesson with the hours you need to spend in preparation, and sometimes the sheer expense of providing the resources. It seems to be no longer about what you are like as a teacher and more and more about impressing the panel with 'things'. In a way I think it is symptomatic of what is wrong with teaching these days - where the teachers rather than the children seem to have to do all the work, and teachers are judged by a half hour observation, which is supposed to be 'wow', rather than progressive hard work and consistent good practice.

2. Thanks for your reply.
    I wholeheartedly agree. Together with having to visit the school before hand these 'observations' are getting more and more out of hand. I don't know any other profession where you are expected to do this kind of stuff. My daughter does performing arts/musical theatre and says it sounds like an audition rather than an interview.
    Last job interview was for a family resource worker in which we had to do a written test in 20 mins, a teaching observation plus an interview. After which it went to a 21 yr old while we all 40 plus somethings with families of our own and years of experience teaching and welfare experience were told no thanks.
    Af ter that experience, I have actually decided that if this is some mickey taking exercise to walk out. I've just had that much with it all to be honest. I really think working anywhere else is preferrable to jumping through higher and higher hoops to do a job my references and my work record shows I can do perfectly well thank you.