1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

observation panic - please help!

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by misasimz, Jan 28, 2011.

1. <font size="4">I've got my second observation of the departmental audit on Tuesday nest week. Bottom set year 8 group, that our not so hot trainee has taken since October and now they come back to me. So low ability, poor behaviour group I'm only getting back on the lesson the head is observing. They are going to be doing past tense (passe compose with avoir, regular only). Add to this there is a boy transferring into the group so that will be his first lesson, and he has only ever done Spanish before. And the Head is looking for "high level questions" which I have no idea how to incorporate into languages (can't see using hypothesis style question like "what if le chat meant something else instead of cat" being any use in a languages lesson!)</font><font size="4">Anyone able to help with some idea on what to do here? I may just be in blind panic mode at the moment, ut any and all suggestions will be VERY gratefully received!</font>

2. Poor you. Firstly, can the transfer of the pupil you do not know be delayed for one lesson? Certainly my colleagues would hold off or put him elsewhere for the sake of your observation.
    As for the lesson itself could you start off with a 'odd one out' type activity where you could do some higher order questioning in English e.g.
    Je joue. J'ai joue (with accent). Il joue
    j'ai mange (acc). Il a voyage (acc) Je regarde

Pupils should spot the use of accents, the use of 3 words not 2 and other patterns without even being aware of the rules for the past tense. You can refer back to these during the main part of your lesson.

If you go to ks3 French resources - travel and tourism and scroll down I have put lots of resources on there - worth a look - one in particular is designed for first lesson on past tense and was designed for a weak set of mine. Concentrate on questions about patterns in the language and if you let them try to work out the patterns and rules for regular past with avoir you should hit the requirements of the observation.

Good luck!

S. Barfoot

3. Thanks for that! Massively appreciated!
    x

4. I have found teaching the passe compose with mini whiteboard particularly useful.

First use to get them to practise avoir.... You say.... I have then they have to write on their boards J'ai etc. When they are confident with this you then practice the past participles (obviously after having taught them the rule) so you put on the board jouer they should write joue (with accent) etc. Then you put them together saying I have played and they write the whole thing on their board.
    Teaching it in this way ticks the AFL box as you are able to see individual progress.

5. When you mention 'higher level questions' think about grammatical Qs, is this a verb/noun etc, that will challenge bottom set Y8 but should be possible for some. Whiteboards are also great to use as they are non threatening and pupils love them!

6. rosaespanola

rosaespanola New commenter

I've uploaded a ton of stuff for introducing/practising the perfect tense onto the resources section - I'm sure you'll find some of it useful, there's a variety of stuff that I've adapted for higher or lower ability classes. They basically get the pupils to figure out the rules for themselves and they tell you how to make the perfect tense rather than the other way round, so that should tick all the boxes for PLTS and higher level questioning. If you click on my username it should come up with all my resources, or you should find it if you search for 'avoir perfect tense' in resources. Good luck, I hope some of it's useful!
    Also make it clear on your lesson plan what your background with this class is, and have some obvious strategies for how you're dealing with it (e.g. seating plan, extra vocab sheets, etc). If the person observing is aware of the difficulties and can see that you've planned to take this into account, it should work in your favour.

7. Thanks for all the ideas folks. Had my obs and got good with outstanding features!

8. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Oh, congratulations!

9. mpc

mpc

Well done!