1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

observation,observation,observation!!!!!

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by shetara58, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Despite in the past year our school was Ofsteded and found to be 'outstanding' - my own lessons observed as good to outstanding. Within the past 2 weeks I have been observed 3 times - twice as 'drop-ins', which the observers said were very good, excellent classroom management, kids focussed and challenged in work. My head then observed me in a formal lesson observation stayed 10 mins found exact same as 'drop-ins' then hauled me over the coals, because a child in the class said it got noisy when he left. I feel in a no win situation, because i'm ups1, my boss says I'm now responsible for the rest of the department not setting homework, not setting targets and I haven't monitored their marking and planning. I'm not a head of department or director. I feel 'picked' on or am I being a little bit over-sensitive!!!

2. Despite in the past year our school was Ofsteded and found to be 'outstanding' - my own lessons observed as good to outstanding. Within the past 2 weeks I have been observed 3 times - twice as 'drop-ins', which the observers said were very good, excellent classroom management, kids focussed and challenged in work. My head then observed me in a formal lesson observation stayed 10 mins found exact same as 'drop-ins' then hauled me over the coals, because a child in the class said it got noisy when he left. I feel in a no win situation, because i'm ups1, my boss says I'm now responsible for the rest of the department not setting homework, not setting targets and I haven't monitored their marking and planning. I'm not a head of department or director. I feel 'picked' on or am I being a little bit over-sensitive!!!

3. Evening - we have just been ofsteded too - a good new verb! the day after being observed by ofsted, I was done by a deputy, fortunately he has a grip on reality! If your head is reacting to one comment from one child then s/he needs to get a grip of him/herself really!If you are on UPS 1 then they must value you to have put you through threshold?

As for target setting and monitoring - i'm sure we could all do more of it - but then we'd never eat/sleep/have a life!!

My way of looking at it is, that as long as I can go home at the end of each day knowing I have done my best for all the pupils, then quite frankly I couldn't give 2 hoots what an ofsted inspector or a head who lives in his office thinks!!

4. Thanks

geordiepolyglot

Actually had a good talk to our new director, and he's more realistic.

I actually feel that we've been done like kippers because the head is looking for a new 'lead teacher' for our department - best to make sure we look like we're desperate for help !!!!! and need 'leading'

i know I can do the job pity he doesn't recognise it

thanks