1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Observation Next Week

Discussion in 'Primary' started by veebee270, Apr 20, 2017.

1. veebee270

veebee270 New commenter

hi everyone,

I have an observation next week in Y4 we are looking at the littlest viking in English and I want to do a story map as my observed lesson focusing on fronted adverbials to show time,manner place for the story map. What does everyone think?
    X

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

What do you want children to learn?
    Do something that achieves that end.
    Will they learn by drawing a story map? If so, then go with it. If not, don't.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Initial thought, as observed by ctob above, is that there appear to be too many LOs in your suggestion.

Are they learning to sequence in a story map or use fronted adverbials.

Especially for an observation everything needs to be crystal clear for children and observers.

4. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Boring! Show them the Blood Eagle clip from Amazon's "Vikings" and story map the process with fronted adverbials!

#ifyouwanttogetsacked

mrajlong likes this.
  5. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

I think your idea sounds lovely! Would you do the story map together in the intro and then have the kids write fronted adverbials? Maybe doing it in pairs and orally retell story picking a fronted adverbial to begin each section? I only see one learning objective (to use fronted adverbials to show time, place and manner) in your lesson and I can see it working out quite nicely. Good luck!

6. veebee270

veebee270 New commenter

I want them to use appropriate fronted adverbials to sequence using the main parts of the story with my highers using more complex fronted adverbials.

7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

If you want fronted adverbials for sequencing, the the story map isn't needed.

I like a nice story map from time to time, but,like a pretty poster, it doesn't have much learning and progression value past year one. Therefore I'd maybe do that the day before, if you really want one, and do the adverbials in the observation.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. Lara mfl 05

Agreed.

9. veebee270

veebee270 New commenter

Yeah you're right. We'll do adverbials and look at using some more complex ones rather than the 'The next day' ones I tend to get.
    Do you reckon it might be worth my highers improving a text using adverbials to show how they can change the mood of the text.

10. Lara mfl 05

Personally I think you might be trying to complicate things too much. Certainly encourage your highers to use a greater variety but leave the 'changing the mood' aspect for another lesson. If they weren't secure in tehir understanding this could' fail' you as some children wouldn't 'show progression'. ;)

11. ultimatedingbat

ultimatedingbat Established commenter

Possibly if you're going to use the story map, get them to stick post its on it with your adverbials. They can then use their story map to aurally retell their story

Kartoshka and Lara mfl 05 like this.