1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Observation lesson literacy in other subjects.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jonotjoe, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Next week I am being observed twice on consective days (argh!). The second one is the literacy coordinator observing Literacy in foundation subjects. I have a year 4/5 class and we are doing newspapers in lilteracy and a village in india in geog. My plan was to write a newspaper article about the changes of land ownership in the village. However we will still be writing newspapers in literacy and I don't feel the children are ready to work independantly and apply their new skills yet.
    Can anybody help with lesson ideas? I could also base it on electricity as we are doing that in science.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

2. Next week I am being observed twice on consective days (argh!). The second one is the literacy coordinator observing Literacy in foundation subjects. I have a year 4/5 class and we are doing newspapers in lilteracy and a village in india in geog. My plan was to write a newspaper article about the changes of land ownership in the village. However we will still be writing newspapers in literacy and I don't feel the children are ready to work independantly and apply their new skills yet.
    Can anybody help with lesson ideas? I could also base it on electricity as we are doing that in science.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

3. my advice would be make sure your learning objectives and the main focus of your lesson is your foundation subject. The literacy bit is where the children use their literacy skills to help them to make progress in the other subject, not the other way round. So for example, the geography part could be focussed on developing enquiry skills and geographical questioning. You could do an input about asking questions about the village and encourage the children to ask their own questions to develop their learning. Perhaps they could do this by imagining that they are a journalist visiting the village to write an article about it. Then the children could use their literacy skills to write down some of their questions and - if you have time (if not do it next lesson) - begin to research the answers.

THey could write the actual article in their literacy lesson. You need to be clear that the objective is not to develop their literacy skills but to develop their geography skills by using literacy to help them.

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Have you looked at this Oxfam site? (Forgive me if you already use it. )
    http://www.oxfam.org.uk/education/resources/clothes_line/?58
    It has activities, with lesson plans and resources, to do with India. Some of the lessons show links with Geography and English, so the thinking has already been done for you.
    If this doesn't help with your observed lessons, it might be a useful resource for you anyway.
    Hope this helps. Good luck with both observations!