1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

observation lesson and interview

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jade_s, May 21, 2011.

1. Hello,
    I have just finished my three year BA QTS primary course and have been shortlisted for a KS2 teaching post. This is my first interview and I am really worried about what they will ask and what I will need to know etc. I have to teach a 1 hour literacy lesson to 29 year 3 children and would be greatful if anybody could give me any ideas for a well-chunked and paced lesson (my mind has gone blank after 12 weeks of final teaching practice!). I have been told that it has to include a short burst piece of writing. Any help would be greatfully received.
    Thank You
    Jade

2. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

Any ideas of an LO you'd like to use, or a particular area of Literacy you feel you can teach well?

3. I was thinking maybe something to do with poetry or using a book as a stimulus for discussion activities. I want to plan something that will engage learners throughout, particularly as I have never met them before. [​IMG]

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I suggest you teach homophones - LO1 'To be able to recognise homophones and be able to list quickly a large range of homophone pairs, e.g. great and grate'. LO2: 'To write a short, amusing piece of writing including pairs of homophones.'

5. Thank you for the advice, I have a large selection of resources on homophones from teaching practice so can use these.
    Do you have any interview advice? Im not sure what they will be asking me, obviously I know what I can offer the school but will they also ask about current issues such as standards etc?

6. wordclass

wordclass New commenter

I might be wrong - but I think Middlemarch was taking the mickey!

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOL I was thinking that as well. Probably sick of the hundreds of posts asking for lessons!

To the OP,

You know that this time next year, if all goes well, you will be even more exhausted than now and your brain will feel like mush. You will also be thinking about writing reports. You will also have to think of ideas for every single elsson every single week. Being tired is no excuse. You HAVE to do this for yourself.

'Something to do with poetry' is not really a good way to start a lesson. Think what you want the class to learn (your LO) and then think of a way to teach it. Then think of a way to assess progress. Then come back for comments and advice if you want to. People will help at that stage, but cannot plan your lesson for you. Your prospective HT might use these forums.