1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Observation in Nursery

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by misshopeful1, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Hey, I am in my final year of my teaching practice in a Nursery class.
    my mentor wants to observe me doing a high focused activity.. I'm not sure what a 'good' activity for an observation would be? as I am used to doing whole class lessons (last placement was a year 1 class).
    The topic is the gingerbread man.
    Any ideas would be great!
    Thanks

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

Very short carpet session + small groups afterwards?
    I don't know what they'll be observing of course.

As for actual Gingerbread Man activities, your ob will go better if you put your own ideas into practice.

3. We have our carpet sessions after the group and the free flow play.

4. I work in a nursery and i read the gingerbread man story to the children using props, i did it first on placement and i had finger puppets of the story from the uni library. I also did it using print outs of the characters on lollypop sticks (from ******). The children were able to retell the story and you can leave these props out in free flow time. I also made gingerbread playdough and left out cutters and children really enjoyed it. Hope this helps.

5. So, will it be a focus activity with a small group that is observed, or a carpet session with a larger group? As it is a focus activity you will need to identify a specific focus, using the Development Matters and following a strand through the age bands so that you differentiate. For instance, in 'Reading', the statements that refer to listening to, joining in and retelling stories.

6. I will be observed doing a focus activity, just trying to think of something realy engaging for the children

7. Perhaps you could think through what works well with the children from past experience. Use your knowledge of the children as to where they are in their development and what appeals.