1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Observation in Literacy (7/6/11)

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Astya, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Astya

Astya New commenter

Hi all, I have my last observation from my link tutor on tuesday. I'm teaching Literacy, starting the Poetry Unit 3 with Year 3 on Monday, so really at the start of it all. They've not done much poetry before and I'm looking for some ideas to make it fun and practical. My class ranges from 1c writers through to 3as, and as a whole they don't generally enjoy any sustained writing so I was hoping to have a speaking/listening focus. Can anyone help? Thanks!

2. mrsshorty

mrsshorty New commenter

def keep it speaking and listening focus! its only second session so I prob wouldn't have any sustained writing at all. Maybe use whiteboards for their ideas. Lots of group work. Practical nature. Get them reading the poetry aloud to each other.
    I would also look at poetry archive and think about choosing poems that relate to things you know the children like.
    Maybe you could use props to create a poem together?
    Hard to say without your objective so get that sorted and clear then you will have some ideas for how you want themn to achieve that objective. Make sure that ( as always) you have AfL throughout your lesson.
    Let us know how you get on

3. Performance poetry could be fun! I know it is one the genres taught in Y3. second lesson isn't really long enough to write anything, but you could discuss how to perform a poem. Choose something with rhyme or repeated lines so after a couple of readings the children can remember it. Also, get ideas from them about how to read it expressively, and what actions they could do.
    Hopefully it will be an interesting lesson, and will keep the class motivated and on task. There is also opportunity to discuss ideas in pairs, and small groups. It also fits well with the current push towards Speaking and Listening activities.

Hope this helps - good luck!
    P.S. RegencyRob cut some flack, it is a student just starting out. Obviously will not match your unbelievably exciting lessons, day in day out.

4. Astya

Astya New commenter

Just rediscovered this thread and wanted to say thanks to those that posted advice. I used 'Walking with my Iguana', and also showed them 'Chocolate Cake'. The lesson went really well! :)

Unfortunately though now I've just joined the ranks of unemployed NQTs, nostalgic for my PGCE because at least I was teaching!

5. roddywoomble

roddywoomble New commenter

Everybody knows that you pull your absolute best lesson out of the bag for an observation. Everybody also knows that you can't do that for every lesson...there aren't enough hours in the day!
    I think this does say something, though, about the pressures this country puts its trainee/qualified teachers under. How is it that the children achieve better standards in Austria when most of their work is from the text book? Sometimes children just need to learn it!!

6. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

We love walking with my iguana in my class, Kenn Nesbitt is fab too: My parents sent me to the store, My brother's not a werewolf & My pet germs. Great fun!

7. Astya

Astya New commenter

I think you have a point! Whilst I genuinely do try to make my lessons fun, observed or not, there's only so much you can do without running yourself into the ground. Sometimes it is facts and methods children have to learn...there are only so many ways to jazz up some things.

8. I do nothing differently for observations and I am consistently graded outstanding and good, you can do it for every lesson - exciting does not mean powerpoint. Outstanding does not mean singing and dancing or exciting. It means engagement and progress!