1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Observation in a class where I didn't know the children and never taught before!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by seren6025, Sep 21, 2019.

1. seren6025

seren6025 New commenter

Hello!
    Wondering whether anyone has had the situation where they have been observed teaching a class they have never taught or don't know?

We have a new headteacher and within the first 3 weeks has conducted the first line of observations on the teachers. I am a cover teacher and head and deputy came to observe me the other day teaching such class.

It did not go well( unsurprisingly) and the outcome is, they are returning to see me when I know the class better) , mmmm, something I could have told them would have been better in the first place!
    Problem is, I now feel inadequate and feel the pressure was unfair.
    Anyone had this experience before?

2. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

I can't help but think that they should have been able to predict that observing someone with a class they'd never taught before would be pointless. At this time of the academic year, heads and deputies have usually got dozens of more useful things to do. They should have realised that the added pressure would hamper the teacher's efforts to get to know the children and the unusual situation of having two members of SLT in the room would unsettle them as well. At least they have now realised that they'll get a fairer picture once you've had time to properly get to know the class.

3. seren6025

seren6025 New commenter

Thank you Bonxie,
    Yes, pointless is exactly the word I'd use.
    A lot of unnecessary worry and stress.
    I am only having the class twice now, before the next observation, am hoping that will give me time to get some behaviour systems embedded. They are quite an unsettled class.

Thank you for your feedback, much appreciated.

4. drvs

drvs Star commenter

We all do this at interview.

You have a new head who wants to take stock of their assets and begin building a picture of their workforce, I think that's sensible. Giving formal feedback after doing so, however, isn't sensible. Worse case scenario, you discover that new head is an idiot and decide to move on. It's just a job, don't sweat it.

5. seren6025

seren6025 New commenter

Yes, sensible, I totally understand that, but feel at a disadvantage as the other teachers had time to get to know their classes beforehand.

Am sure it will be fine next time, just thought it strange