1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Observation grade

Discussion in 'Primary' started by shortgal, Jan 16, 2011.

1. I have always believed that the observation grade you were given was confidential between the head and the person being observed? Is that true? Or does it depend on the school?
    Have all the SMT of the school got a right to know your observation grade aswell?

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

No idea about 'rights' but in our school the head and deputy know the grades and whoever did the observation does as well.
    I think they sometimes share with SMT depending on the point of the observation.

For ofsted I think only the head and deputy were officially told, but then it was up to us who we told.

3. Thank you. So theres no offical dos and dont document about formal observation feedback than? I just thing teachers should be allowed to choose to keep something private. (good or bad).

4. In my school, the only people that know the outcome of observations are the observer, person being observed, and whoever they choose to tell. If the observation is done by someone other than the head/deputy (ie for subject monitoring purposes,) the deputy is always told, as they are responsible for subject monitoring overall. I don't know if they tell the head. I always tell the support staff who were in the lesson with me, as they very often ask anyway and I would want them to know as they quite often feel the pressure of the observation too.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Oh well there might be...I just have never bothered to find out.