1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Observation for teaching post

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lucyknott, Mar 17, 2016.

1. lucyknott

lucyknott New commenter

Hi, I'm going to be an NQT in September and I have been invited to an observation. It was originally no lesson but I spoke to the school about what I could cover and she has suggested a poetry lesson about Spring as they've been looking at poems and Spring is their new re topic. What could I do that's interactive in half an hour? I've got a full class. Thanks in advance.

2. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

Lucy, I'm a children's poet who has written lots of spring poems. I have lots of ideas of what you could do that would make an interesting half-hour lesson. Contact me - but why not, if the children have done one of my poems, Skype me to the class for half an hour and let them prepare one of the poems as a performance, and perhaps if there were two performances, I could choose the finalist. The other thing is that the children could prepare questions to ask me, or I could tell them a little about the metre in the poem and encourage them to write some sentences using this metre. Only a suggestion - or you could do these things yourself. I'm quite used to visiting classes via Skype and I go into classrooms worldwide.