1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Observation Feedback

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Bobby100, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Gave some feedback to the dep. head at my school yesterday. Saw an English lesson. It was a sound lesson, good. No problems. Thought I was being helpful, gave some ideas on how to get an outstanding next time. Feedback given the same day.
    Well she hit the roof. Pointing her finger at me said she was insulted and that she has never been good, she is always outstanding. Has been outstanding for years. Went on that she was outstanding, very angry, said the problem was with me. Surprised by the reaction, she went on for 20 mins real rant. My observations are usually pretty spot on and I've done lots of joint observations (with SIP, ofsted etc.).
    Not sure what to do next...I'm a new head

2. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I think you need to have a " chat " explain that although you understand that she was upset, you have expectations about the way staff speak to eachother and that she didn't meet those expectations.
    Go through the new criteria with her, highlighting where she met the good criteria and explaining how tomove to outstanding.
    Suggest that as she doesn't trust your judgements you will offer her another chance to be observed, with your sip jointly observing to validate your judgements.
    Make it clear that finger pointing and ranting are not professional, you would not speak to her like that, and you expect the same in return.

3. Agree with CG. Issue 1 is how we speak to each other as respectful professionals. I actually have a positive communcations policy agreed by GB which is always helpful if anybody behaves inappropriately!
    Issue 2 is the lesson grade. I usually share the descriptors and ask them to evidence each of the criteria by describing how the lesson met each one. Be open and say you are prepared to discuss the grade. Then, put the onus on her to justify it.

4. mychuck

mychuck New commenter

I agree with the other HTs comments. You need to have a clearly defined criteria against which you will make your judgements. This should be shared and understood by all staff and before the observation you should agree the proforma which you will use.
    Our school's proforma has the OFSTED desriptors on it. Staff know that I will be a critical friend and that I will be constructive. I have suggested areas for improvement with all my staff and I'm sure that if they observed any lesson of mine they would suggest ares for development - or at least I hope they would. In doing this we continue to set high standards. This does not mean we don't celebrate good/outstanding practice it means we are reflective and developmental.
    As your deputy she should be the ultimate professional. That does not mean that they have to agree with everything you say but it does mean that they have to act in a professional manner.
    If you have not already done so then you need to convene a meeting together and say that you we dissapointed in her unprofessional manner and that together you need to build a relationship which is one of mutual respect. That does include acting in a certain manner and being open to professional constructive development. I think you might also have to highligh the matter of confidentiality with her because if she was explosive she might well have discussed this amongst staff and that can damage the perception of the SMT.
    She needs to apologise.