1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Observation Feedback - thoughts?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by hbee1, Dec 10, 2019.

1. hbee1

hbee1 New commenter

Hi all! I just want your opinion and some feedback I received on my final NQT observation in a Year 11 GCSE group, in the middle of their mock exams. Some of it doesn't sit quite right with me, and I just wanted to know if it was just me being oversensitive/paranoid. A few of the comments are...

"Books are disorganised, with a lot of sheets to be stuck in. Not all work has titles. They need organised books for revision."

"Praise used during the lesson (be careful not to use sarcasm)."

"Think about your timings. Students had too long on some tasks and this gives time for students to become distracted / poor behaviour (not necessarily in this group but in general)."

I can take criticism about marking books, but how am I meant to take responsibility for making sure sheets are stuck in and titles are written in an entire GCSE class? Also, I use sarcasm with a few of my classes (mostly GCSE and A Level) and they seem to react well. And was there a need to point out that there wasn't bad behaviour, but opportunity for there to be? I said immediately afterwards that I knew some timings were off, but is that comment necessary? Or helpful?

Help!!

2. loranp

loranp New commenter

If you give them sheets, make sure that they stick them in during the lesson; with GCSE students it really shouldn't take long. Additionally, make sure that you are explicitly telling them that they need to write the date and title - go around and check that they have done it if necessary. All it will take is a quick walk around the room, glancing over their shoulders at their books.

agathamorse likes this.