1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Observation during controlled tests

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by johnhammond, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Hi there
    I'm due to be observed by the local LEA advisory/improvement service and this falls on a lesson when I'm teaching Year 10. They are in the middle of their GCSE Coursework Controlled Test to produce a newsletter and Powerpoint.
    Has anyone got some advice as to how I proceed with this? There isn't a great deal of actual teaching/feedback/assessment involved in these lessons as they come in and get on with their work under exam conditions. If I do a one-off unrelated lesson then doesn't that look a bit suspect?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated
    Cheers
    John

2. If the LA is there to advise then I would politely request that they observe a different lesson, stating your reasons. Depending on the level of control required there may be very little interaction between you and the students - and this is as a result of the course structure - nothing to do with your teaching (and possibly not a great deal to do with their learning, but that's an argument for another day). Would they want to come and observe you invigilating an exam?

Doing a one-off lesson isn't suspect necessarily, if they have to come in that day then make the point that you're going out of your way to make it a worthwhile exercise. I would consider how this might affect the students' flow in terms of their assessment but I don't see a problem with it generally.