1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Observation at crazy time of year!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rainbowdrop86, Dec 4, 2015.

1. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

Im due to be observed next week (either Monday or Tuesday). The children have just had enterprise week, we will be in the middle of Christmas productions, they will be preparing for the xmas carol service etc etc. We all know what its like at this time of year, all barr the head teacher!
    Anyway, normally id be starting to wind down. I cant even begin to think of what to do, worthy of being observed. Im toying between some non fiction writing based on our topic of castles, or something xmasy. We have just done letters so not that.
    Can anyone think of any good ideas, suitable for an observation? I can plan it all myself, just completely stuck for ideas that can be stretched enough
    Thanks in advance

2. vannie

vannie Star commenter

What year group are you?

3. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I will be teaching as normal all of next week and most of the last week. I can't imagine not doing so. I'm not trying to be antagonistic, but surely you can just teach a normal lesson?

amscott1991 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I know I plan 'normal' lessons with a Christmas twist e g Christmas pudding Maths revising all 4 operations, ratio, time, weighing & measuring etc and include following instructions for English work.
    I'm sure you can do something of your own.

5. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

So for 5% of the children's education for the year (10 days out of 196), you aren't planning to do anything you consider valuable educationally? That's a little sad.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. abacus1982

abacus1982 Established commenter

We will be having normal lessons most of the last two weeks except for xmas rehearsals and performances and the bazaar. I'm using A Christmas Carol for Cine Literacy and will be doing all my writing based around that. I would say that an observation in the last two weeks before the end of term, especially at xmas, is ridiculous though.

7. Milliemoo13

Milliemoo13 New commenter

Jeez the OP was only asking for a bit of help not to be bashed by holier than thou teachers!
    If you haven't got anything helpful to post as a reply why bother posting? Did you all need o make yourselves feel superior or did you purposely want to belittle the OP! Whatever your motives for your unhelpful replies I hope it brought some light to your sad little lives.
    OP my week consists of Monday - dress rehearsal, PE and guided reading, Tuesday - maths, performance to ks2, out singing at a residential home in the pm. Wednesday & Thursday - normal morning and performances in the pm. In my normal timetable slots in doing Christmas poetry (plans in the resource section) and capacity in maths but fitting it in when I can but I'll be giving my class lots of valuable experiences like visiting a residential home and being part of a performance!
    Could you do something related to the nativity story? I've just done sorting the people from the story in to good and bad and getting the children to write using because to give reasons?
    Take no notice of the unhelpful posts above - I wouldn't want to work somewhere that didn't deviate from 'normal' timetable to enjoy Christmas!
    Ba Humbug to you above ;) X

8. Milliemoo13

What's sad is that you've wasted your time working out those percentages to use to be nasty to someone.

9. Lara mfl 05

I thought my post (bother Quote function doesn't appear to be working)
    'I know I plan 'normal' lessons with a Christmas twist e g Christmas pudding Maths revising all 4 operations, ratio, time, weighing & measuring etc and include following instructions for English work.' was trying to be helpful.

My suggestion 'I'm sure you can do something of your own.' was more to suggest that the OP would have to adapt my suggestions to what they've been teaching as that programme is revision for my class, following on topics I've taught this term.

10. Lara mfl 05

Actually as 5% is half of 10%, it would take no time at all to work out! ;) (Can you tell I've been teaching how to work out 1%. 5% form 15 recently?)

11. Milliemoo13

The fact you need to try to justify your posts is enough to prove my point.

12. Lara mfl 05

Second post- about percentages wasn't mine! ;)

13. Milliemoo13

Good luck this week Rainbowdrop, I'm sure you'll be fab! :) x

14. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Fair points Milliemoo, I was just suggesting that the OP maybe look at teaching a normal lesson. Which is often the easiest. I find the best stand alone lessons are maths investigations and good old SPaG. Easy to shoehorn Christmas into those if you really want to but I tend not to. I like to leave it entirely until the last couple of days. Good luck to the OP for the obs.

15. Birdie64

Birdie64 Occasional commenter

Poor you...wrong time of year for an observation. Nothing is normal in my school....play practises, Carol service practises, decorations day... The younger the children are the harder it is to refocus them when the timetable is blown to pieces especially when everywhere is decorated with lights and tinsel!

Maybe you could get the children to retell a Christmas story, teach them about riddles with a christmas theme, write instructions on how to make something - a good one I've done is to get them to sequence how to make a Christmas pudding. Ŷou don't say what age you are teaching but I differentiated this is a number of ways for a class of mixed year 1 and 2, then made it into a display by sticking it on to pudding shaped paper... Worked a treat!

I think it's sad that fellow teachers find it necessary to be critical...I certainly wouldn't like to observed at this time of year and would question why the head thinks it's necessary.

Good luck, you'll be fine!

Milliemoo13 likes this.
  16. Birdie64

Birdie64 Occasional commenter

More ideas:
    Plan a Christmas menu
    Write shape poems
    Write acrostics
    Write invitations
    Make sure the children know their addresses. -write on envelopes
    Make a class's recipe book....the children can use PCs to type it up.
    Use cookery as means to maths - lots of weighing, capacity, measuring,
    Cookery is also lots of science...make icing, fab language in there. - mint fondants dipped into chocolate... Reversible/non-reversible changes, melting, evaporation, using force to change shape, hygiene...
    Give mixed up recipe for salt dough and ask children to sequence it then give them the opportunity to make it and make something from it.
    Lots of crafts involve measuring with a ruler...
    Teach coordinates .... Lots of those lovely images made by mapping out on squared paper, older children can use negative numbers too.
    Tessellation
    Repeating patterns .... Make wrapping paper
    My younger children have ma strings of repeating patterns with beads which we have used to decorate the tree.

Mini theme on birds
    feeding the birds. - what's the favourite food type? Lots of maths in that!
    Bird beaks ... Did you know there are over 10,000 different species of birds and there is a project ongoing, to model the beak shapes of each species to look at the rate of adaptation?
    Migration

Mini theme on the Arctic - some amazing footage of polar bears on YouTube, geography of the Arctic, experiments with ice melting and insulation

Hope this gives you some ideas...and good luck, it will be fine.

Happy Christmas

Lara mfl 05 and Milliemoo13 like this.
  17. McCahey

McCahey New commenter

Once had OFSTED visit the last full week before CHristmas. They told us (Church School!) that they didn't want to 'see Christmas'.

18. Lara mfl 05

Yet about 3 years ago when we had Ofsted, they were quite keen on all the Christmas activities, which 'added to children's social and extra-curricular activities'. They were impressed with how well-behaved the children were during rehearsals too.

19. abacus1982

abacus1982 Established commenter

The Literacy Shed also has a bank of Christmas themed videos for inspiring writing which look good.

Milliemoo13 likes this.
  20. ESLAB

ESLAB New commenter

Last week before Christmas is always up in the air, fitting in dress rehearsals for Nativity Play, actual performances, visit to Church, making Christmas cards and decorations...and so on. A stand alone lesson - what about watching a clip of one of the Christmas adverts (John Lewis has done some fantastic ones in recent years) and then adapt to whatever your class needs to learn; whether that be adjectives describing a scene or feelings or adverbial phrases to start sentences etc. Good luck whatever you decide to do.