1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Observation - assessment lesson

Discussion in 'Music' started by princess_moose, Feb 4, 2011.

1. I have an observation soon and the lesson being watched is an assessment one. My year 7 group are at the end of their scheme of work on improvisation, using the pentatonicscale and have recorded 2 pieces to be put on a year 7 CD.
    Any really cool ideas to make it a stand out lesson?!
    My basic and brief thoughts so far are to listen to other year 7 groups performing the pieces on CD and commenting on them. Then listening to their own performances and linking it to NC levels and then completing their own self assessment.
    This is basic and could get quite boring, so if anyone has a whizz of inspiration please help!

2. I have an observation soon and the lesson being watched is an assessment one. My year 7 group are at the end of their scheme of work on improvisation, using the pentatonicscale and have recorded 2 pieces to be put on a year 7 CD.
    Any really cool ideas to make it a stand out lesson?!
    My basic and brief thoughts so far are to listen to other year 7 groups performing the pieces on CD and commenting on them. Then listening to their own performances and linking it to NC levels and then completing their own self assessment.
    This is basic and could get quite boring, so if anyone has a whizz of inspiration please help!

3. englishteach101

englishteach101 Occasional commenter

You could make it a 'lucky dip' by not telling them who they're assessing before they've actually assessed it, that does away with students being especially nice to friends and harsh on those that they don't like.
    Have you got any photos/video footage of them playing? Might be a good engaging entrance to have an image on the white board with some questions in their books around it.
    Engaging entrance/starter: what makes a good audience/assessor/performer etc.
    Or you could get some thunks in there for some really wacky creative thinking.
    It's hard to make this sort of lesson an exciting observation one, but these may help a little bit.

4. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

.................and then having done the assessments and evaluations give the students a short amount of time to demonstrate the improvements they would make to their work.
    Prizes, certificates etc...........
    Demonstration of students understanding how they improve .................
    Students talkng about health and safety implications of working in smaller rooms and carring equipment etc.............
    I really think you could get all the boxes ticked

5. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

.........on the other hand - you may run out of time!! Good luck, with all the above ideas you'll be fine!

ps - mrkeys,how does one do "carring" ? Sounds different [​IMG]

Joni x

6. Any other ideas guys? I'm stressing out, had a bad week and the lesson plan just looks dull !

I guess as long as they learn to assess each other correctly and self assess their progress it should be ok...

7. Stick with what you know, do not over complicate! The old trap is to try and do something new that you have never tried before. Go with what you know. Make sure the objectives are up and that you link back to them every 15 minutes or so to demonstrate pupil progress.

8. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

How about singing a pentatonic song as a starter? Or playing the opening melody of Debussy's "Girl with the flaxen hair" and asking them to raise a hand when they hear the first non-pentatonic note? It's always good to include some performing or listening, even if the bulk of the lesson is about composing.

9. I think I might now set their self assessment as homework right at the beginning of the lesson, and then start a new unit. I know I would teach a new unit better than trying to do something on assessment for an hour that would be a bit mismatched.

Sigh!