1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Observation and grading

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by tosca23, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Today i had my formal obs, which (without blowing my own trumpet!) was planned to the enth degress, tons of diffrentiation, active learning, peer assessment, progression, excellent behaviour was clearly seen in the lesson. I had feedback this afternoon and feel completely disheartned by the outcome it was given a 3 (satisfactory)- for 1 thing that i didnt refer directly to levels with activities such as 'if you complete this activity you will be a level 4'. I was also told that if you had done this the lesson would be outstanding, is it just me that thinks this is a tad harsh or is this the reality and if you do not refer directly to levels you can be no higher than a 3.

Would appreciate some feedback, also would you question this grading or just accept it?
    thanks

2. Today i had my formal obs, which (without blowing my own trumpet!) was planned to the enth degress, tons of diffrentiation, active learning, peer assessment, progression, excellent behaviour was clearly seen in the lesson. I had feedback this afternoon and feel completely disheartned by the outcome it was given a 3 (satisfactory)- for 1 thing that i didnt refer directly to levels with activities such as 'if you complete this activity you will be a level 4'. I was also told that if you had done this the lesson would be outstanding, is it just me that thinks this is a tad harsh or is this the reality and if you do not refer directly to levels you can be no higher than a 3.

Would appreciate some feedback, also would you question this grading or just accept it?
    thanks

3. I cannot see how that can justify two grade levels. Personally I don't see why it should affect your grade at all but I can understand a jobsworth thinking it could. But definitely not from outstanding to satisfactory. It has to be worth at least a good with outstanding elements. Question it.

4. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

The jobsworth who observed and graded the lesson is a witless buffoon. This shows the sheer evil behind lesson observations where some idiot with a clipboard ticks boxes and thinks that one item could be a 1 or a 4 depending on that subjective factor. The only people who should be using Ofsted ratings are Ofsted inspectors, not that they always know what they're doing.

5. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

I cannot comment on your lesson as, obviously, I had not observed it.
    I would be more concerned about the fact that it appears it was not a representation of how your lessons are normally ( my apologies if I am mistaken ).
    Could it be that this was also a consideration?

6. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I sometimes wonder if people observing lessons don't want to give you a high score, because they didn't get "outstanding" themselves when they were observed. This is especially so if you are being observed by someone from within your department.

7. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

absolutely, if it was for PM, which the 'formal' suggests it was.
    you aren't by any remote chance coming up for Threshold progression of any kind, are you?