1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Obs help!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Waterfin, Apr 1, 2011.

1. All children behaving well, getting on and motivated by what they are doing.
    Demonstrating that the children are making significant progress (above that expected) in the lesson.
    Differentiation (inc for the more able)
    Good use of key skills

2. inq

inq

Being liked by observer.
    Observer having got out of bed on right side.

Cynical? Me? Never!!

3. In what ways can you demonstrate in an observed lesson that the children are making significant progress?

4. I know in our school they look for
    - the quality of learning
    - the enjoyment of learning and attitudes
    - the assessment to support learning
    - how well do the pupils' progress
    - how good is the quality of provision
    And most of all they like to see less teacher talk and more of the children talking and doing.

5. J.M.Powell

J.M.Powell New commenter

Check out the Ofsted observation criteria for an outstanding lesson. This would seem a good place to start.
    https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/New-OFSTED-School-Inspection-and-Lesson-Observation-Criteria-with-Lesson-Observation-Grid-6029434/review/1/

6. Not a clue what outstanding really looks like, I can't seem to reach it. I get lots positive comments about the teaching and learning in my lessons with no weaknesses in my observations, yet I just get goods.
    They can tell me is that my kids work was great, the standards in their books were very good, that I have a lovely relationship with my class and the behaviour was spot on. The only negative they give me is a ridiculous non-statement that I don't 'sparkle'...
    To me this tells me that they don't like my calm-and-quiet teacher persona that I strive to have after seeing two particular teachers with this style on teaching practices and seeing the effect it has on calming the behaviour in their classes at the time. Apparently calm=boring.
    Occasionally I wonder what would happen if, in an observation, I started hamming it up and bouncing around like a kids TV presenter. However, I am pretty sure that the kids would think I'd gone mental and that the more hyper of my kids would get wound up by such an approach and haven't dared to suggest this.
    Good luck.

7. Went on an observation feedback course recently and some of the things that came up were...

Children not being afraid of taking a risk... always having a go at things and not being worried about making mistakes!
    Excellent use of resources and TA support.
    Careful differentiation based on AFL- tasks/ expectations
    Celebrating success- lots of positivity- children enthusiastic and interested.
    Good pace to suit the children.
    Deeper questioning- talk partners- children asking questions.
    Relationships- mutual respect for one another.
    All children making at least good progress.