1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the new look TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide in the welcome lounge and help forum.

"oblique line of symmetry"

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jog_on, Feb 24, 2008.

1. I don't really understand what it means. My maths knowledge is really letting me down.

Please could someone explain it in level 3 language??? I am not yet a level 4 (clearly!!!) ;)

I need to plan it into my plenary for my APP HAP child in maths.

2. I don't really understand what it means. My maths knowledge is really letting me down.

Please could someone explain it in level 3 language??? I am not yet a level 4 (clearly!!!) ;)

I need to plan it into my plenary for my APP HAP child in maths.

3. Ha ha - I had to look this up last week as well - it's not horizontal or vertical, so basically, it's a diagonal mirror line!

4. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

I personally don't think you need to use it! Never come across it whilst teaching KS3/GCSE or A-Level, or whilst on my degree!

It's just a line of symmetry!

5. So would that depend on the orientation of the shape? For example, a square's oblique line of symmetry would be from corner to corner??? Or would it only be that when the square is in its usual position???

*confused*

6. trinity0097

Precisely why you don't need a silly word, it's just a line of symmetry!

7. If you look on the level 3/4 APP guidelines, it is on there in the understanding shape section, level 4. I need to show for my obs that I am taking this on board, so I want to direct my questioning appropriately. Might have to rethink this a little bit and think of a different obj.

8. Yes, taht is why I looked because it was on the assessment grids....I took it as meaning a mirror line for reflection though....oh well!

9. Oh, what's APP HAP by the way?

10. APP = assessing pupils' progress

HAP = higher ability pupil

Thanks, I think ;)

Still confuzzled!

11. trinity0097

I think you should interpret it as the pupils can recognise a mirror line when the mirror line isn't horizontal or vertical based on how you have the picture. Rather than the pupils being able to call it some new invented made up name!

(it amazes me how many terms have been 'invented' by the people who work for the primary strategy etc!)

12. Ok, thank you Trinity!!! Has helped a lot :)

13. I agree your holiness

i would say - can they turn the book/page around a little to put the mirror line vertical?
    tehe!

14. Thank you :)

15. hi
    I alway tell my children to turn the page and look at problems with the mirror line vertically so i suppose that means they know how to deal with an 'oblique' or maybe this step on APP is trying to confirm whether or not they can do this without turning the page so really it is all about the ability to mentally rotate and mentally reflect in any plane - no-one really talks about this much. Should mental rotation be on the APP written down as the skill it is, instead of perhaps hiding behind some maths term to make it look more like progression, by the APP writers.