1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Objects for Still life

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by crimson, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Hi
    I'm looking to get some interesting objects for a still life composition. I was going to go round a few charity shops to get crockery but wondered if anyone had anymore ideas or websites where I can maybe buy natural forms.

Cheers

2. Hi
    I'm looking to get some interesting objects for a still life composition. I was going to go round a few charity shops to get crockery but wondered if anyone had anymore ideas or websites where I can maybe buy natural forms.

Cheers

3. I'll be following ths thread in case anyone comes up with places to buy. I mean, it's pretty hard to source things like skulls and shells - Ebay's rubbish.

4. Lottes

Lottes New commenter

Get the bus to come to you!!!..... Starbeck bus tours round schools (on request when it's in your region) and it's full of multi-cultural artefacts, weird and wonderful seed pods, shells, amazing barnacles, starfish and urchins and beetles/ insects. The RE department often likes a look too.
    http://www.starbeck.com/diary.html
    I also go here...
    http://www.excelsiorwholesale.co.uk/
    it's a big warehouse in North Birmingham, but think the school has to have an account. Worth a visit if you're near.
    Ask your Science department about skulls.... I happened to mention something in passing to one of our technicians who said Biology have a box of sheep skulls. We now borrow them regularly!

5. Hm, I'm in Scotland. Will google it - they may have links to other places. Thanks Lottes.

6. Lottes

Lottes New commenter

Scroll down on the Starbeck bus link - they're in Scotland August 20th-24th. Just call them on 01765 607815 to find out where exactly.

7. Great thread [​IMG]

8. E-mailed them and they're going to get back to me. :)

9. Starbeck are brilliant! I have used them every year. Very helpful, beautiful objects and friendly staff. I would highly recommend them

10. they're in Scotland August 20th-24th. Just call them on 01765 607815 to find out where exactly.[​IMG]

11. I get loads of stuff from freecycle.org

12. Mrs Grumpy

Mrs Grumpy New commenter

I "stored" loads of bones, mineral specimens etc for the Science Dept - from time to time I'd even let them have them back for a while. I had contacts with various churches and chapels- leftovers from Jumble Sales and tombolas flooded in... charity shops too, in the good old days. Old dears who had to downsize even seemed to seek us out. Bent and damaged musical instruments rescued from the Music Dept - even had a piano, once for a year or so! Simply ask round / put up a poster in the staff room - and classrooms. you'll be amazed what will pile up! It may be an idea to try to negociate some out-of-sight storage (caretaker? boiler room?) in case the Head gets the wind up about your loot taking over the world.
    Also I've asked yr10 or 11 to organise and bring in "bread board mini-still lives" no more than a shoe-box of items, small enough to fit within the size of a (draped) breadboard (nicked dozens from Home Economics when they went all high tech) and stored on racks like National Trust trays , ( knocked up for us by Tech teacher,) between sessions. Often students abandoned the items when their work was done - recycled for less goodie-rich students in later years.
    Also "really tiny still-lives" - tea-chest with all sorts of odd things in, three items picked out at random / lucky dip - drawn individually, then together, then either dev into surrealist pictures or cartoon art or similar, whatever the juxtapositon of items suggests, in whatever materials seem appropriate. Can be very imaginatively developed.
    Difficulty isn't getting items, it's storing them where you can get at them, but no-one can call them a heap of junk or "accidently" throw them away over the holidays!!

13. D4n

D4n

Intigued to note the ongoing quest for objects to study ( I started in 1970). I found it interesting to collect stuff/junk around a theme, perhaps a colour, then build an installation across the whole wall of the art room - sometimes building in lighting into the installation. One year was white - and we painted the objects we found white - tyres, frames, branches. The main feature of these large installations was that students had to use a view finder to their own unique (usually abstract) composition. It worked for extended painted compositions as well as quick charcoal tonal studies"? But that was some time ago, is it still relevant?

14. Absolutely! I like the 'all white' theme (I think someone else mentioned this too)

15. I would say Freecycle or in my area Freegle. I hvae put several wants and been pleasantly surprised with how generous people can be when you are specific about what you want and especially why.
    I also was every successful collecting skulls from the science department. In fact I kept them after borrowing them. Also if you have any trips to welsh mountains there are skulls around that can be brought jhome carefully and boiled. I made a great haul with the Music and drama departments. Old bits of broken instruments and props and don't forget skips. I got a fantastic bust silencer which was added to my collection and what about a toy box or tool box in the loft, garage or shed.
    Collected broken umbrellas were a collection that came out for a fantastic close up still life. Tumble them into the middle of the floor with the kids around using boards. They made a fantastic gallery of work in super quick time. Great for selective composition.

16. Have a look at all the drawing resources at AccessArt at http://www.accessart.org.uk/?cat=99 - you may find some new ideas for subject matter - we try to think of subject matter which is relevant to the drawing exercise! Best Regards