1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Obesity

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Si N. Tiffick, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

We eat very healthily (though I eat far too much!) and my son, like yours chooses healthy options naturally. He actually won't eat chips or drink fizzy drinks as he doesn't like them (though I suspect that will change as he approaches teenage). He's at the age where he likes to run about all day, and he's not allowed on the computer or Wii for more than an hour at a time. So far, so good. But I do expect that if he changes those habits later, he will turn to fat the way I did and the way his dad is going...
    I'm not convinced we did. I think we ate a lot more homecooked meals (as opposed to orange freezer junk) and portions were definitely a LOT smaller. Your observation about your fish supper being a case in point.
    As regards expercise, Beth is definitely right. When I was a kid, living in the next village to where I now live, it was normal for us to go out all day playing, climbing trees, exploring the rocks (over the cliffs!) at the beach and building dens and dams. I was chastised recently for allowing my child (aged 8) and his friend to play in the woods directly behind our house in case "something happened to them". Now what do you suppose would happen to them? Statistics show there is no greater risk to children today than 30 years ago and yet parents keep their children indoors for fear of some threat to their safety. Where we live, much of the beach I used to play on is now privately owned, and the fields where we used to play now has houses on it.

2. Whilst we were out in the UK, my kids roamed fairly free (not as free as I did as a child, but still quite free).
    I went out with my sister and my nephew a few times. We went into the woods at the Rising Sun County Park (oooooooop in the NE). We had a picnic and then we played hide and seek in the woods.
    A couple came up to us and said "Is this safe? You cannot see your children?".
    Well, no we couldn't, they were hidden in bushes and trees, having a whale of a time, but only about 6 feet away from us!
    And they would not have run off any further. They just found it hilarious that two over 40 year old wimmin were prepared to romp around in the woods with them and have a game of hide and seek.
    We weren't sitting somewhere swilling beer and not knowing what our kids were up to.
    I find it so sad that so many were just sitting in the picnic area, munching and drinking, whilst not having some fun with their kids. And then I nearly wept, and my sister told me to calm down (she has seen worse in her job) - there were two kids, playing on the climbing frames and then their Mum yelled at them to get back to the picnic table (no idea what they had done wrong) and then they ran back and she yelled "You will WALK not run!" and then they got back to the table and she just made them sit on the floor, like dogs. She said "Sit!". We still don't know what the poor kids did. My son was so mad. He wanted to go over to her and ask what was up.
    I came home with a huge bouquet of dandelions from my 3 year old nephew, with the words "stick them under your chin, it makes your face look yellow, especially if you do this..." and then he rubbed my face with the flowers and all the pollen stuck.
    Bliss.
    I think we are an odd old fashioned family, but a happy one and whilst I am fighting the pounds, my kids don't notice them.

3. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

It isn't exercise alone though, is it? You don't end up with such a striking difference in partcular areas to others from a lack of exercise. It's mostly diet.
    We have campaigns to stop people smoking. Campaigns to reduce alcohol intake, campaigns to reduce driving speeds and the Government take these seriously in so far as banning smoking in public places and raising tobacco duty. They consider raising the duty on alcohol to make it unaffordable to drink to excess, they install speed cameras and sleeping policemen, yet they do nothing whatsoever to tackle the much bigger health risk of junk food.
    As mentioned before about the quantities of chips that are served, I can't imagine anyone getting through a portion comfortably, and the same applies to the portions of food you get from Chinese takeaways. As mrs modelmaker and I tend to go for different meals from a takeaway, we end up throwing half of it away.
    There was a pub we occasionally went to because we liked the beer they served. They advertised their low-cost meals being bargains because they were served on 17" plates. Mostly chips.
    More people will die from illnesses relating to obesity than alcohol or smoking. Fat people don't make old bones and they spend a lifetime with joint problems.

4. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

When I used to do supply, I worked at one school in a particular area where the majority of the families were very low income/benefits and during one lesson the class had to write down what they had eaten for dinner for the previous week. Chips featured at least 3 times on everybody's list.
    I think that there is an absolute need for more education.

5. I don't know, MM.
    Oooooooooooooop north, we don't just live on pie and chips.
    I have been dawwwwwwwwwwwww South often, especially in London and I see folk wolfing down doners and curries.
    And if you think it is diet - why do you think there is a difference?
    You know, folk ooooooooooooooooop north are not thick. We might speak weird but we are not thick. The North is not full of chavs. They are in Essex, innit?

6. But who needs educating?
    It is great that kids know what to eat - but if their parents don't provide it, how do kids enforce it?

7. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Long story why this happened - but I had reason to be looking at a Pizza Express menu with one of my classes.

They were seriously ASTOUNDED that I would choose a pizza with green things on it. They couldn't imagine why you wouldn't just get pepperoni, or extra cheese or similar. A safe option they had had many times before.
    As the conversation developed, I learned that they had never tried many vegetables, and although they knew they should eat them, the atitude was that they didn't like any vegetables, and wouldn't try new ones. Most of them would eat carrots and peas, if forced, and that was about it.
    Several of them had never heard of asparagus, let alone tried it. Ditto pine nuts actually!

8. modelmaker

I have a very dear friend in Bradford who diet is virtually allways pie. He travels a lot, eating midday meals in his car. He gave me a lift on one particular occasion he was down this way and was a little embarrassed he had to clear the passenger seat of Ginsters wrappers.
    Sure, there are unhealthy junk food shops in London.
    Education is important, but it's only part of the solution. The reason supermarkets have dramatically increased the volume of pre-prepared food they sell and reduce the amount of fresh food available is because they want the extra profit they get from people's laziness. Supermarkets are trying to educate people away from cooking, and they are being very successful at it. The rise in fast food outlets has coincided with this.
    I think it's time for Government intervention before we all end up up like the Yanks. How about taxing supermarkets for every ready meal they sell and give a rebate for every fresh ingredient? It would be simple to implement. Tesco know everything I've bought from them, because when I order online they tell me what my favourites are, and I get targetted emails on special offers they think I'd be inclined to buy. The Tesco Clubcard was a brilliant idea for them. As a loyalty card everyone takes it up to get the vouchers, but in the meantime, it's enabled Tesco to gather information about each of their customers. So if someone buys a number of ready meals or pies, they get targetted with special offers of ready meals, or pies.

9. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

The parents AND the kids.
    How many parents do you think feed their kids junk because they think its cheaper?

10. Yes, as I have posted many times.
    But they do that in the South, don't they?
    They don't just sell **** in the North and healthy stuff in the South.
    Whilst I am not denying the statistics, I do deny that only the North has obese folk.
    Maybe we should look at it from another angle - how easily is sport (affordable) available in the North?
    I was quite shocked at how much it costs to just go swimming. I found one free tennis court. There is no skating rink which is affordable, no football fields you can just play on (in the North! Footie!), no green areas you are allowed to play rounders or cricket. All green areas are "posh" and not to be vialated by children.
    There are no cycle paths. There are no open air swimming pools.

11. Very many.

12. I am having the very christening of an idea, and MM - you are the man to help us.
    What JO started - we can continue.
    How about a TES Cookery forum offensive? How about we actually DO something, rather than just chat about food?
    MM - this is right up your street.

13. modelmaker

I'd love to, but I'd need to get more people on board.
    I bang on constantly about the food industry, but it usually goes nowhere. People here seem to prefer to talk generally about food rather than share recipes and cooking techniques.
    And babies and the like. Don't get me wrong, it's nice to get to know a little more about each other, but in my view, that's what the Personal forum is there for, whereas this is the Cookery forum.
    There is clearly a need for better education about food. Since this forum began, there have been a number of posters who've said they are keen to start cooking for themselves, and it's been heartening for all of us when they say they followed someone's recipe and it was the best thing they'd eaten. It's a teacher's dream to discover somebody learnt something from their efforts and what better place to educate than on a site devoted to education?
    I'd say, this would be our greatest strength to change the food culture. Talk more about the actual cooking. Draw people into you recipes in some way. Encourage them to want to have a try themselves.
    I don't think it's enough to say what you've been eating without a lot more detail. It's often like looking at a menu here. Somehow we need to get across the idea that it's it's a lot fun, and very therapeutic to cook, very creative too. The only way I can obviously see of doing this is to talk a lot more about how we do it. Record our failures as well as our successes.

14. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

You're soooo right there. I had a parent who came to see me complaining that her child wouldn't eat her dinner after having a healthy eating lesson with me. The meal was sausage rolls and chips. The child had tried a range of fruits and vegetables and wanted to eat them at home. The parent complained that she couldn't afford to provide fresh fruit and veg for her child. She said that for the price of a bag of apples, she could get a meal for the family. And the sad thig is, she's probably right. Frozen E-numbers stuck together with saturated fat and sugar is a darned sight cheaper to buy ere, for reasons that escape me.

15. modelmaker

We're back to supermarket policy again. The wrong sized apples that get wasted, the mis-shapen vegetables that get plowed back into the soil instead of being offered at affordable prices.
    I'm not a farmer or a gardener, so I can't say for certain what Spring greens are. I imagine they are cabbages that haven't properly formed and are weeded out to help the rest mature. They are absolutely delicious. They look pretty tatty compared to the other veg, but once sliced, they are exactly the same as the ones you buy pre-sliced in the packets and a fraction of the cost. Why aren't they promoted as a celebration of Spring?

16. The sad thing is, she is wrong. Yes, you can buy a family ready meal which seems cheaper. But if you bought a kilo of mince, a couple of pounds of veg and one chicken, think of how many meals you can get out of it and then calculate.
    THIS is what is missing. Many of us, although eating **** in the 80s, were brought up to cook and stretch.
    Or cook quick meals - fish in milk, liver with onions, mince and tatties.

17. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Sorry, but you can't get that for a quid, which is what my bag of 8 apples cost today.

18. How many meals do you get from a bag of 8 apples?

19. modelmaker

I doubt any of us here will disagree. It needs organisation though, things to store the food in and so on. I struggle sometimes to do it with the facilities we have, and there's just two of us. We have a fridge-freezer where the freezer is about 4/5 the size of the fridge and because it's in the lower part near the compresor and so on there's not really that much space in it. The only way we would realistically be able to manage to follow your suggestion would be to eat the same things for several days on the trot, which becomes a bore.
    I've had some thoughts about your suggestion we do something about unhealthy eating, celtic. It strikes me that none of us need to be educated, it's the rest of the planet. What I think is needed is to spead the word on the other forums. Direct more traffic this way. Discuss a great meal you've cooked on another forum and send people here for the recipe.
    How about asking people on Personal or Opinion to talk about the packet food and junk meals they eat and show them where there are tastier, healthier and cheaper examples on here?

20. But you don't. You do different things with the mince, the chicken, the veg.
    I have started - I linked a thread here to a great blog. The lovely lady replied to me and was very grateful.
    I think Opinion is difficult. Although I post there, they are a blinkered bunch.
    I have managed to get a few from Personal to post here - I know lapin always points out that we are here.
    We got Milk here and a couple of others.
    But not with your method. We were a bit more gentle.